Recovering costs after an accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm just passing on what I have been told by Slater & Gordon, who are acting for me. If the driver doesn't give his/her insurance details, the court can obtain them anyway. The driver can't instruct the insurance company not to pay out if there is a small claims court judgement against them, and it affects their no-claims bonus regardless.

Or better still, you could use the askMID Roadside Service app and get the other person's insurance details at the time.
Note that while they say it's a 'free service', it's only the app that's free, there's a charge for the information (£4 I think).

GC

vickster

Legendary Member
In my ongoing case, LeighDay had no issue identifying the drivers insurance details from his name and reg. I was shaken and hurt so didn't have the awareness to ask the driver for anything other than his name and phone number.

Not that I have had any contact myself with the insurers, nor indeed the driver since I started the case (actually I bumped into him at the local station and spoke for 15 minutes, but didn't mention the case which hadn't been submitted at that point)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes on re reading the gobbledygook I found that, hence post edited already :smile:

However, I still can't see most drivers having any awareness of this, so legal advice warranted

I wondered what had happened there!
I'd begun a reply to you then got distracted so by the time I got back and finished the draft you'd already edited.

It's certainly something that needs clarified but see my post above regarding askMID Roadside Sevice, might be handy for future reference.

GC

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
I'm pleased to say that it was all resolved today. I called him at lunch time and told him that following the two texts I had sent him, I wanted to give him a final chance to settle privately before making an insurance claim. He said that he hadn't received the texts because he had recently switched phones. (Not entirely sure I believe that as I sent them from my iPhone and it was sent using iMessage which indicates that he received it). However, he said he'd pay £150 in cash immediately. As the tyre was well worn and I had a spare just laying around I agreed. I ended up paying £10 of the labour myself as my LBS agreed to reducing the labour to £20 as I fitted the tyre. Foolish perhaps, but I felt that paying £10 was worth getting my bike fully fixed and returned to me today and a brand new wheel to replace the existing one that had a little wear on it as well.

jamin100

Guru
Had a similar thing in February
Short version

Lady right hooked me clipping my back wheel.

Needed a new wheel £140

She decided to go through her insurance and the solicitors through BC were excellent. Took around a month to get sorted but her insurance didn't argue and just paid out

Top Bottom