Recovering from over doing it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
If you over do it on a long ride & get close to blowing up what's the best way to regain your energy reserves & start the recovery process?

I've done a hard 4 hour ride, my blood sugar is through the floor. I'm finding if I eat or drink anything meaningful with in about 20min I throw up, about the only thing I've managed to keep down is about 0.5l of an 'electrolytic sports fuel' drink & a gel.

Sambu

try some sweet juice or milkshake? im no expert but i guess you need sugar? spoonfull of honey?or sugar?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You have totally 'cocked up' in ride as well...... water...... bread..simple stuff.....

In ride me is iso drinks and easily 'eat-able' food - anything moist with fruit and cabs.............

If you aren't keeping food down, then the old parent's cure....water ONLY......REALLY............

You are probably de-hydrated - FAR TOO MUCH.......

Blue

Legendary Member
Every Saturday since mid January I have been doing a 75-80 miler with the fastest group from my club and it knackers me. I have found that an immediate drink of water followed by a cup of Ovaltine (add milk type) aids my recovery very well - it has protein and carbs with lots of vitamins and minerals.

Doing the ride on a regular basis has also helped as it has been getting easier lately! :blush:

lukesdad

There are products designed mainly for nursing homes. They are called forti juice and forti sip (which is a bit milky) but they are meant for people who either cant or wont eat solids and are excellent for this sort of situation. Not sure if you can get them at the chemists, could be worth asking your GP. they contain everything you need and are easily digested.

buggi

Bird Saviour
jelly babies :blush: put loads in your pocket and have one everynow and then. or dried apricots (Asda do a big pack of individually wrapped apricots so no stickyness in the pocket.

coupled with some kind of energy drink in one bottle, normal water in the other.

prevention better than cure :biggrin:

ASC1951

Guru
lukesdad said:
There are products designed mainly for nursing homes. They are called forti juice and forti sip (which is a bit milky) but they are meant for people who either cant or wont eat solids and are excellent for this sort of situation.
This was what they generally used http://www.complanfoods.com/complan.php

It's been overtaken, for sport, by stuff you can get from places like this http://www.myprotein.co.uk/

Or you could just eat and drink sensibly during the ride. :biggrin:

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
As fossyant said I totally 'cocked up', I've done these sorts of distances & intensities before & know how much I need to eat/drinks but for some reason though I had enough fluids I didn't have nearly enough to eat hence my problem. I managed to consume 3 more gels which got me back to the point of being able to keep down 'proper' food.

Top Bottom