Recovery Day or Days??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

efreeti

After doing my first long ride (34 miles) yesterday I now fancy attempting the commute into work which is a similar distance. It will need a very early start and tomorrow is the only day I can make it happen this week.

I don't seem to have injured anything yesterday. I was fairly knackered for an hour or so but after a bath and lunch I felt okay. I had a general tired feeling last night and was in bed by 10.30pm but feel fine today. I'm a bit saddle sore though.

Does doing my longest ride ever with only a day in-between sound ok? Otherwise it will be next Sunday before I can get out again.

lukesdad

It ll be fine because youll recover in the following days before sunday 3 days a week is fine.

OP
OP
E

efreeti

Well I ended up doing it. It took just over 3 1/2 hours to do the 38 mile trip. Not easy to get above 10 or 12 mph most of the time. There are so many obstacles and changes of surface on the canal paths that it just doesn't seem possible to get in to a decent rhythm.

Turned out to be very hard on the buttocks!

A big egg sandwich and 2 coffees later I don't feel too bad.

I had my first fall on the journey though. Not even sure how it happened. Did a sharpish turn going up a slope and the wheel just seemed to slide out from under me. Banged my knee and cut it up a bit. It seems to be stiffening up a bit as well now :-(

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I had my first fall on the journey though

What wheels you got on your bike. If it's knobbly off road wheels and you're riding fast into a corners this can happen often?

The knobs are no good for high speed road cornering. My bikes all have slicks, but a few weeks ago I rode my brother's MTB with knobs and the bike was very twitchy in fast corners.

RedBike

Congratulations on your two longest rides ever within a week of each other.

When I started reading the post I didn't realise the 38miles was off-road. A good portion of my commute is along canal tow paths and dis-used railway lines. Having to stop every two seconds for styles or chug through mud doesn't half slow you down and make the doing hard work.

When you go uphill then you often un-weight the front wheel. With no weight over the front wheel even the grippiest tyres will slide.

OP
OP
E

efreeti

Yeah, tow paths definitely seem like hard work. Think next time I will just go as far as Rochdale on the canal (to avoid the silly steep climbs) then get onto the road for the run down into Manchester.

Still a bit concerned about my knee. Going to have a pootle round town today on the brompton to see how it feels but it still hurts If I put all my weight on it when getting up. Might not get out on Sunday :-(

Top Bottom