Recs for 700 x 28 tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Any suggestions?
My rims will take 28s (nothing smaller). I currently have Schwlabe Marathon 32s on.
I'd like a "go faster" make if I can, rather than any kind of heavy duty XC tyre.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Panaracer Paselas roll very nicely, as I remember.

Gatorskins do as well, although I disliked them (to say the least) for riding in the wet.

P.H

Über Member
As you haven't included value in your criteria, my recommendation would be Conti 4000 All Season. They are expensive and they don't last that long, but they're a joy to ride, totally transform my tourer. But if you want value, I’d agree with John the Monkey and get Panaracers.

RedBike

Gatorskins do as well, although I disliked them (to say the least) for riding in the wet.

I was quite liking the Gatorskins fast, grippy (in the dry), relatively puncture proof, cheap. It all seemed too good to be true!

Last night I turned out of a junction and while turning went over a man hole cover. I completely lost control of the front wheel and in the blink of an eye ended up lying in the middle of the road. I picked myself up quick and rode home rather embarrassed but not hurt.

I will be changing to Bonti Hardcase very shortly.
You can probably pick them up for under £10 a tyre, but this is the cheapest well known firm I can find.
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/9625.htmlhttp://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/9625.html

andrew_s

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
Last night I turned out of a junction and while turning went over a man hole cover.
Nothing grips on damp manhole covers. Don't turn on them.

Meanwhile, I use Conti GP 4 Seasons in 28mm (or Gatorskins if I was feeling tight-fisted).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
andrew_s said:
Nothing grips on damp manhole covers. Don't turn on them.

Meanwhile, I use Conti GP 4 Seasons in 28mm (or Gatorskins if I was feeling tight-fisted).
True about the manhole covers.

However, gators are the only tyre I've managed to wheelspin in wet weather (trying to sprint from the lights) my experience of them (25C, wire on) was not good at all, and I say that as someone who quite likes Conti (have GP4000 on my good wheels).

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Mmm, food for thought there. I was thinking conti's but those Bontranger's look quite good.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
However, gators are the only tyre I've managed to wheelspin in wet weather (trying to sprint from the lights)
Occasionally means nothing. There may have been a bit of diesel on the road, or tar risen to the top, or white paint or something. Only blame the tyre if you can spin it whenever it's wet, in different places.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
andrew_s said:
Occasionally means nothing. There may have been a bit of diesel on the road, or tar risen to the top, or white paint or something. Only blame the tyre if you can spin it whenever it's wet, in different places.
I rode them for at least 2,000 miles[1] - I never felt as confident on them as I did on wire-on Stelvio 25C, and definitely not as confident as I do on my current 25C tyre (Pro Race 2). My experience of them (and it's based only on those 2,000 miles, one set of tyres, mind) is that they were great at recommended pressure, lovely in the dry, and worse than anything else I've ridden in the wet.

YMMV, but the wheelspin incident is just the most extreme example of the lack of wet grip I found that the set of Gators I had demonstrated. I wouldn't ride them again on my commuting bike.

[1]I'd need to check cyclogs for an exact mileage.

Top Bottom