Recumbent Bike or Trike, needs to do a few things.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Auntie Helen said:
I would also add that it's a bit harder to hold a conversation with someone on a DF bike as they are so much higher up than you, it's like hollering across a huge chasm.

The trick is only to bother talking to other people on recumbents...:biggrin:

Although even a Ratcatcher is a bit higher than my trike, although that never stopped Mike Burrows talking to me on holiday </name dropping>. Or pushing me up hills....:smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
Hilldodger said:
I don't ride any of our recumbents because they give me a bad back.

I thought this was the whole point of a recumbent - to avoid aches and pains...

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
You'll have great fun!

Just to confirm, I'm averaging 35-45 miles per day at the moment on my trike and no aches and pains whatsoever – apart from perhaps in the grocery bills as I seem to be eating like a horse (although not grass, fortunately)

PaulM

Guru
Advantages of a recumbent bike

I currently have a Catrike Speed and have been doing some hilly social rides with DFs and tandems recently.

The trike has a similar profile to the tandem, ie slower uphills and faster down them. A lot of the rides have been on single-track roads with masses of debris down the middle meaning that one of the 3 wheels must ride in the debris. This has frequently forced me to slow down, losing touch with the group. I have now ordered a Bacchetta Bellandare which is actually slightly heavier than the trike but I anticipate will be faster and more suited to the group rides.

OP
OP
thewrinklyninja

thewrinklyninja

Spent Friday with Kevin at Dtek and had great fun, he tried me on all sorts of recumbents. Even some I was not keen on trying by the look of them (the Linear) but I tried them all and was pleasantly surprised by the stability of them all. Of all I was more shocked by the fact that I thought I would prefer the euro semi low bikes like the Hurricane and that ilk. But I felt more stable and comfy and rolled along nicer ona Bacchetta Giro he had. He has one coming in on second hand this week, so he will check the condition and email me some pic's. Joy!

spiro

I'm going to see Kev on Saturday so it sounds like I am going to have an interesting time trying out all the different styles (weather permitting). At least I'm not too far away if the weather turns out bad (as now forecast) and I can only look and not try. ;)

OP
OP
thewrinklyninja

thewrinklyninja

Well, I have settled on a second hand Bacchetta Giro from Kevin at Dtek. In very good condition and it comes with mud gaurds and a bag aswell. Joy!. I can finally get back out cycling again.

Top Bottom