recumbent chain tube/hose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuee147

hi all
i was wondering on any advice on the tube/hose that you can run the chain threw on a recumbent trike ??
iv been looking but im not sure on the best type and size.

iv been looking at garden hose but i don't really want green i would prefer a red hose to match the frame so i was thinking about the type of hose you find on the back of the washing machine for the hot water supply would this work ????

stuee

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The chain-tubing I have on my Nazca (and that on the ICE trikes) is not hose, it is tube: more like plumber's pipe than hose, plastic not rubber. It needs to be as low-friction as possible too.

Tim Hall

I bought a 50m reel of black nylon(?) irrigation pipe. Only about 12mm diameter, the sort of stuff used for automated watering systems. Cut a bit off, flare the ends by standing it in boiling water for a bit then jamming a bit of dowel in it. Bend it the "wrong" way to straighten it, job's a good 'un.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

. It needs to be as low-friction as possible too.

good point i hadent thought of friction i was thinking along the lines of rubber as it would be less likely to cause wear but i can see it would cause a lot of friction..

[QUOTE 2973086, member: 30090"]What trike have you got?

On some you don't need any ime. Just and old inner tube wrapped around the cross member to protect the frame will do.[/quote]

im in the process of building a recumbent trike its a design based on ones i have seen on the net but with a few of my own ideas. where the chain runs it will be clear of the frame i was more thinking of some form of tubing more to stop the inside of my trousers or leg getting a bit greasy i have made rollers to guide the chain so its only purpose is for keeping me a little cleaner than normal

ill have a look at that ptfe tubing that sounds good :smile:

thanks for all your help everyone

stuee

Top Bottom