Recumbent clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't know if it's just me, or if anything could be done to solve it, but I find that my jerseys ride up at the front while riding recumbent. So it gets tight under my chin - if I undo the zip a little, it just rides up more until it's still tight under my chin...

Front (or perhaps side) pockets on jerseys of course, preferably zipped. A small chest pocket perhaps.

I tend to carry valuables in a bumbag, worn to one side at the front - it doesn't interfere or weigh down too badly.

Fiona N

Veteran
mcd said:

I have the exact same from Odlo and find it a very versatile item

PaulM

Guru
I would like to see a lightweight, long sleeved fleece with drawstrings at the wrists. Sometimes I want the wind whistling up to my armpits when riding the Giro, and sometimes I don't! I've found this to be an issue with OSS bikes when you ride in the Superman position of arms straight out in front.

A zipped breast pocket is useful at the pub/cafe stop to keep cash, cards and keys handy.

I use two items which can solve some issues:

Firstly is a Rohan "vest", which is a basic waistcoat and has pockets on the front, allowing phone, wallet etc to be carried.

Secondly is a "Tourstar" from urban glow for the same reasons.

tourstar%20%20g2%20fronta.jpg

Neither is waterproof, but also are not too hot to wear, a difficult feat would be to combine the two!

The negatives I wouldn't want...
Zips of fastenings on the back, and pockets that did not fasten

squeaker

Über Member
Yep, no rear pockets (esp. with zips), but otherwise zips on trouser pockets are good.
I use 3/4 Humvees with a modified (elasticated) calf closure, which I like. For tops, front / side pockets for small stuff would be useful.

Alf

Guru
So, it sounds like each piece of 'recumbent clothing' that a brave manufacturer produced would sell about 2 items each! Perhaps I am a bit pessimistic but there do seem to be several more ideas for ideal bottoms and tops than there are people suggesting them.

I am quite happy with runners lycra shorts - too bad if anyone is offended by contours that are slightly more revealing than padded cycling shorts. I don't think they are all that much worse than padded shorts. Anyway, no comments or stares as yet so far as I have noticed. I have taken the pad out of a couple of pairs of cycling shorts that I had given up on. Actually I found that padded shorts were OK for up to about 8 or 9 hours but on longer audaxes the chafing got unbearable. Runners shorts are just perfect, and about half the price.

I find that most cycling tops are OK in that I can use the two outer pockets, but waterproofs are a dead loss unless they have just a half zip. I looked high and low for a reasonably light one and then managed to get a Haglofs paclite in a sale. Only trouble with it is that it is charcoal grey.

On the breathability of the backs of tops, I am not quite sure how a mesh helps. You aren't every going to lose much waste heat through a seat or even through a ventilated seat cover, and the combination of a ventisit seat cover and an ordinary cycling top seems to keep my back pretty dry. The reduced wind resistance on a recumbent means that you probably discard layers before DF riders but in very hot conditions, I would think that almost all of the waste heat is going to have to be shed via the parts of your anatomy that feel a bit of a draught - ie not the back.

Fiona N

Veteran
Alf said:
On the breathability of the backs of tops, I am not quite sure how a mesh helps. You aren't every going to lose much waste heat through a seat or even through a ventilated seat cover, and the combination of a ventisit seat cover and an ordinary cycling top seems to keep my back pretty dry. ..

I think it depends on how you ride. On tours where I've been doing upwards of 200km a day, I find that I get a rather uncomfortable heat rash across my back with normal running/cycling type clothing as it gets wet and then you get a permanently wet layer plastered across your skin. The mesh layer is very non-absorbent so you maintain a small air gap on your skin. For me, this is the difference between a back which looks (and feels) like I have measles and no problems even with 12+ hours a day in the seat :biggrin:

If you only ride for an hour or two at a time and give your cycling top time to dry out I can see that a mesh back wouldn't be of interest (or conceivably - for males with hairy backs, you've got a built in mesh layer :thumbsup:)

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Have you tried a Coolmax shirt? I find I rarely get sweaty in those, and if I do (say up a tough hill), it quickly dries.

OP
OP
Riding in Circles
I had the visit from Reverse Gear and the product is very good quality, the wicking properties are excellent and they have a huge range, most with front zipped pockets, some with side pockets, they have developed a liner for the shorts to prevent chaffing and allow some modesty, also it prevents your arse from trying to eat your shorts. They have some windstopper type products as well and some mesh backed items that are under development, they ride recumbents so have tested all they do and are very open to suggestions, pricing reflects the lower volumes and the fact that they ethically will not farm out production to the far east, all in an interesting range, we are now going to work out pricing etc.. after import duty and VAT and will see how the EU market reacts to it, so thanks all for the feedback, hopefully I can get a few samples out to some of you in the next month or two and get some more feedback.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have a Recumbent specific jersey issued by NVHPV (Dutch HPV Club) to celebrate their 25th anniversary. The front pockets are really useful although a zip on at least one of them would be a good idea. Shorts without a pad are another seller, although I have some Ron Hill running lycra shorts that are good they have no pockets and a zip pocket either side would be good.

Alf

Guru
Fiona N said:
I think it depends on how you ride. On tours where I've been doing upwards of 200km a day, I find that I get a rather uncomfortable heat rash across my back with normal running/cycling type clothing as it gets wet and then you get a permanently wet layer plastered across your skin.
I quite agree, that's very unpleasant. The seat cover is also important. I put up with my back getting soaked even on rides of just a couple of hours for 5 years before I got a new recumbent which had a ventisit seat cover instead of the thick closed cell foam that my old one had. All of a sudden wet backs were history and I got one for my old bike too. It wouldn't work for everyone I'm sure. Skin sensitivity, sweat rates, skin temperature, work rates, etc - all very individual variables, I should think.

Alf

Guru
byegad said:
I have a Recumbent specific jersey issued by NVHPV (Dutch HPV Club) to celebrate their 25th anniversary. The front pockets are really useful although a zip on at least one of them would be a good idea. Shorts without a pad are another seller, although I have some Ron Hill running lycra shorts that are good they have no pockets and a zip pocket either side would be good.
A pocket at the side would certainly be more useful. I find I am unaware of zips at the back, though. I thought they would be uncomfortable until I tried a pair with the zipper quite running across the spine and I couldn't actually feel it even after several hours.

Alf

Guru
Catrike UK said:
I had the visit from Reverse Gear and the product is very good quality, the wicking properties are excellent and they have a huge range, most with front zipped pockets, some with side pockets, they have developed a liner for the shorts to prevent chaffing and allow some modesty, also it prevents your arse from trying to eat your shorts. They have some windstopper type products as well and some mesh backed items that are under development, they ride recumbents so have tested all they do and are very open to suggestions, pricing reflects the lower volumes and the fact that they ethically will not farm out production to the far east, all in an interesting range, we are now going to work out pricing etc.. after import duty and VAT and will see how the EU market reacts to it, so thanks all for the feedback, hopefully I can get a few samples out to some of you in the next month or two and get some more feedback.
Any waterproof tops?

Top Bottom