recumbent once more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
I've only ever had OSS bikes, although I have tried USS machines and can see their appeal. I find that for a "fastish day out" bike ASS somehow seems more appropriate. I think it's something to do with elbows being tucked in for speed - the Spitfire Pilot Effect ;)

And it's perfectly comfortable, assuming that the bars have enough adjustability to put them in the ideal position for you. I ride my Kingcycle for hours and hours without ever thinking "My arms are getting tired".

USS does seem to be associated with relatively sedate cycling. Having said that, most current Challenge bikes are available with USS, including the higher models in their tasty SL range; but they do not offer a lightweight 559/406 wheeled bike at the moment. I dare say one will be along in due course...

<edit> Hold the press! There is a fleeting mention of a "lightweight version" (at 12.5kg) of the normally rather portly Ventus here

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
That looks interesting too. I wonder why HPV can't just realise my dreams and make an 8 kg version of the Street Machine?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
They do. The key is to be careful in the options you choose/omit.
I can't imagine you'd be much over that if you asked them not to add:
  • Mudguards
  • Racks
  • Lights
  • Mirrors
  • Headrest
  • Seatpad
  • Seat
  • Front forks
  • Wheels
  • Drivetrain
  • Tyres
  • Valve caps
  • Paint
  • etc...

The SMGTe is a great bike. Love it for what it is.

...and then buy another ;)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Andy in Sig said:
I wonder if carbon would work as a recumbent frame material ...

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure carbon would work as any frame material, regardless of rider position. All my bikes take far too many knocks, and I'd be worried about the integrity of the frame, delamination, standard horror stories, etc.

Here's how I resolved it:

Chances that I would ride more if my bike was lighter? 1/10
Chances that I would ride further if my bike was lighter? 2/10
Chances that I would enjoy riding more if my bike was lighter? 2/10
Chances that I would ride less if I was terrified of damaging it? 8/10

+1 for Aluminium with replaceable carbon bits then. Hence, Furai :smile:

Top Bottom