Recumbent questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
betty swollocks said:
pic of my Hurricane.
The 65 tooth chainring is hidden behind the chainguard: the tips of the teeth are level with the outer edge it.

2i7wv3s.jpg

Mine is similar I have a 63 if I remember rightly....

plot72

Yeah with a 26x1.5" tyre I kinda like the idea of a 39/54 crankset mated to a Rohloff with a 16t sprocket, 17-123" or 18-131" with a 15t. Or even a 32/39/54 (though I have no idea where to source something like that from) & a 13t sprocket for 17-151", this however would be great setup for a 24x1.5" drive setup.
I put 26x1.75 tyre to my Roholf and 20x1.5 front to extend the versatility and include canal paths without the traction problems from narrower options. Fortunately not met one coming the other way yet:sweat:. Which do you think would be the better Roholf option, a larger 17t sprocket and chain wheel or the converse. I have heard that the Roholf doesn't respond well to high stress offered with a small sprocket.

On my ICE trike I've gone with my Rohloff, 53t/38t on the front and 21t on the 20" back wheel.
This gives me 1.8 mph to 20 mph.
If I want to pedal faster, I just engage the overdrive on the HSD and I can pedal all the way to 50 mph.
The first couple of gears are below what Rohloff recommend, but the ultra low speeds on the trike means I'm not over torquing the hub by to much.

GrasB

Veteran
I put 26x1.75 tyre to my Roholf and 20x1.5 front to extend the versatility and include canal paths without the traction problems from narrower options. Fortunately not met one coming the other way yet:sweat:. Which do you think would be the better Roholf option, a larger 17t sprocket and chain wheel or the converse. I have heard that the Roholf doesn't respond well to high stress offered with a small sprocket.
If you keep to the >2.1:1 rule then the amount of teeth on the sprocket is immaterial to the hub.

plot72

Thank you GrasB that's really helpful as I'm considering an HSD to stretch the ratio a little.

Top Bottom