1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recumbent riders are not obsessives!

Discussion in 'Recumbents, Trikes and HPVs' started by Cunobelin, 29 Jul 2007.

1. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

Except maybe this one from a US website:

I know it is out of context and a bit of a wind-up, but anyone else thought about this type of mod?

Gives "Weight weenie" a whole new depth!

2. derall

derall Über Member

Hahaha :biggrin:
    That's where I'm going wrong. With the fairings fitted my SMGT tips the scales at about 45lbs. Maybe I should put Helium in the AirZound ;)

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Helium-filled fame? How do you stop the helium escaping, it being only the second smallest molecule and all that? I mean it esapes from rubber balloons overnight, and I don't believe you can get a frame airtight enough. That bit must be a windup surely?!

Still you could have a tube to suck it out with, and stop bad drivers by yelling at them in a squeaky voice...

4. mosschops2

mosschops2 New Member

You'd have to put double orings on the seat post for a start! You could weld shut the front forks I suppose.....

If you're going to such lengths though - you'd save even more weight by having a vacuum in the frame. Air weighs what - 1kg/m3 ish. Helium weighs (wiki....) 0.17 kg/m3.... volume of a frame.... 10 litres?? If you're lucky. Leading to a helium saving of 8.3 grammes, where as for a vacuum system you could save the full 10!!!

5. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I'm going home right now to plug my hoover into my hack...;)

6. Fiona N

Fiona N Well-Known Member

Better watch out for that 14lbs on each square inch of tube though - tubes are not built to operate with a vacuum inside :smile:

7. fergal penge

fergal penge New Member

wow i WANT one of those!!!
    fergal penge.

8. arallsopp

arallsopp Post of The Year 2009 winner

I've been running my SMGTe with a gas filled frame for about 18 months now. As noted above, Helium is just too small to contain easily, so I get it pre-mixed with nitrogen, oxygen, argon, and carbon dioxide. I normally keep it topped up at around 14.7psi to support the tubing, but have found it easier to allow slightly lower pressures if I'm tackling a really big climb.

9. Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen Ich bin Powerfrau!

What's this 'lub' on the chain of which he speaks? :blush:

10. Alf

Alf Senior Member

Me too. Works well in tyres too. Could do with a bit less of the CO2 though - can lead to overheating! Things ain't what they used to be.

11. Chonker

Chonker Senior Member

Engineer!

12. arallsopp

arallsopp Post of The Year 2009 winner

Nah... Wikipediac. :sad:

13. Chonker

Chonker Senior Member

Hehe, well it made me chuckle anyway :biggrin: