Recumbent Selling Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yakboy

Regular
Hi, New to this Parish but would like some advice on selling a Recumbent. Last year we bought an old Dawes Low Rider as an experiment to see if it would cure the backpain my wife suffers when riding a conventional bike..and decided to try an easier model to ride before committing to a more expensive and modern bike. So bought a Dawes Low Rider from eBay and then did a full stripdown and service before letting my wife loose on it. She enjoyed riding it but no joy with the back pain, so we are back to the drawing board. Any advice on good places to advertise it. I know these pages are an option but as a new poster I will have to wait a little while until I can post pictures. Also if anybody has any advise on curing backpain when riding and advice would be gratefully received. I restore old mountain bikes so we have tried every riding position imaginable using one of my bikes as a testbed, shorter cranks etc but with no joy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want to reach the widest audience EvilBay is the place but there are other sites that don't charge like Gumtree or Preloved.
If she can't be comfortable on a bike or recumbent chances are she never will be two wheels.

OP
OP
Y

Yakboy

Regular
If you want to reach the widest audience EvilBay is the place but there are other sites that don't charge like Gumtree or Preloved.
If she can't be comfortable on a bike or recumbent chances are she never will be two wheels.
She used to ride a bike with no problems it's just in the last couple of years that back pain has started, I suspect that there is a hip problem and think she should have some sort of "Gait Analysis"

OP
OP
Y

Yakboy

Regular
Thanks for the welcome, I am a regular on Retrobike but liking the diversity of subjects on here

Gastroped

Über Member
Hi Yakboy, my sympathies and empathies to your wife.
My back has troubled me for decades but a year ago it decided to get very angry.
Having started with Miofacial Release then Bowen therapy, full-on sciatica drove me to my local NHS physiotherapist but I've ended up investing a chunk of my limited £ resources in a private chiropractor who mercifully is slowly sorting out my back ... X-ray revealed a displaced vertebra which was a bit of a shock to see.
A solid seated recumbent is definitely preferred over a mesh seat to maintain the natural curvature of the spine, apparently.
If your wife hasn't tried a chiropractor I can recommend an initial consultation at least.
Good Luck and a Hearty "Heal Well" to your Wife.

Venod

Eh up
Have you considered Facebook, there are lots of cycling selling groups, and Facebook market place, it's getting more popular, no selling fees, and now you have to give Ebay your you bank details to sell, more people are looking for alternatives.

grldtnr

Whereabouts do you live? I might consider buying the low rider, but to be honest ,I rather have a Speed Ross, or Orbit Crystal, despite the build qualities, they handle very well.
Have been a recumbent triker for some years, starting out on a Pete Ross Trice, hence I know about build quality!

OP
OP
Y

Yakboy

Regular
Whereabouts do you live? I might consider buying the low rider, but to be honest ,I rather have a Speed Ross, or Orbit Crystal, despite the build qualities, they handle very well.
Have been a recumbent triker for some years, starting out on a Pete Ross Trice, hence I know about build quality!
North Yorkshire

OP
OP
Y

Yakboy

Regular
Please describe her back problems in more detail.
Lower Right back pain after 20 mins riding (either recumbent or standard bike). Right Hip a little clicky when first riding. Only started in the past few years. She has visited a physio who is a cyclist and he couldn't find anything wrong and gave her stretches to do pre ride but these haven't made any difference. We both do pilates every week and are reasonably fit. I think it may be a hip problem.

OP
OP
Y

Yakboy

Regular
Hi Yakboy, my sympathies and empathies to your wife.
My back has troubled me for decades but a year ago it decided to get very angry.
Having started with Miofacial Release then Bowen therapy, full-on sciatica drove me to my local NHS physiotherapist but I've ended up investing a chunk of my limited £ resources in a private chiropractor who mercifully is slowly sorting out my back ... X-ray revealed a displaced vertebra which was a bit of a shock to see.
A solid seated recumbent is definitely preferred over a mesh seat to maintain the natural curvature of the spine, apparently.
If your wife hasn't tried a chiropractor I can recommend an initial consultation at least.
Good Luck and a Hearty "Heal Well" to your Wife.
Thanks for the good wishes

My good friend Anna Semlyen is an expert in the use of Yoga to resolve back issues. She sorted me out good and proper last year when I injured my rhs upper arse zone getting out of my car. She correctly diagnosed (later confirmed by my GP) that I'd wrenched one of the joints in my pelvis. She has self published a book on the whole subject (yoga for bad backs, not my upper arse) if you can find it.

Also, since my teens I suffered many years of back problems which were eventually (and permanently) sorted by osteopathy. So that might might be worth a punt.

Top Bottom