Recumbent trikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Crackle said:
True. I think I'd have seen a bent but the trike is even lower is it not and so many of them have flags on that they must feel it's an issue.
Most of the trike riders I've met don't bother with the flags any longer. I do because I like the belt & braces approach. However my husband forgot to put the flags on his trike the other day and he said he felt fine. I think I'm so cautious/risk averse that I'll continue using them - with the inevitable expense when they fly off at speed down hills (this has happened twice - we've had to get new flags).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crackle said:
True. I think I'd have seen a bent but the trike is even lower is it not and so many of them have flags on that they must feel it's an issue.

It's the only niggle I have about potentially riding one.

As I said earlier, my bent is not really any different in height to many trikes. My eyes are at 87cm or so, I commute between Biggin Hill and the West End. Being seen is not an issue, not even slightly. I do understand why people think they can't be seen, but it's just lack of knowledge and experience. As others have said, we all see white lines and potholes when driving.

The only visibility issues I've come across are me seeing other vehicles, and then only in two situations. One is at a T-junction with another vehicle next to me, and the other is changing lanes whilst filtering through stationary traffic. Both are a little harder because your feet go first, and you need to be able to look for other filtering two wheelers. I think it's not any more dangerous, but that's because I'm careful to look properly. I just lose a few seconds when compared with filtering on the upright.

wafflycat

Ben Lovejoy said:
When I ride a two-wheel bike, car drivers give me a typical amount of room. When I ride the trike, almost all of them completely change lanes to overtake me. Trikes are far safer.

Yup, I'm given more room when on the 'bent trike than when on an upright. Also get loads more smiles from drivers & peds alike

squeaker

Über Member
IME on a trike, you are more 'vehicular' in heavy traffic and can't 'thread' so well due to the track width and, it has to be said, the less good visibility (you can't look over cars like on a DF bike).
The main downsides I find with my ICE 'S', compared with my Grasshopper, is the lack of front suspension which makes the ride a bit more turbulent at speed - mind you, the guys at ICE are working on that one ;) - and the lower average speeds (~10%). However the stability benefits on cack / fronst covered country roads, and the ability to go up hills a zero mph without balancing are definite plus points :biggrin:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
There are situations in which I can't filter with the trike where I would with a DF bike, but far fewer than I expected.

The tight gaps are generally on the inside, and as London has lots of railings, etc, that's not somewhere I would generally want to be anywhere. Filtering up the outside is possible on the trike a good 90% of the time.

Ben

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wot Helen and the rest said....

I do have a flag, but I don't think I'd be too worried if I went out without it, it's habit really. I don't think I've ever felt my safety was compromised by the lowness.

And if you worry about being seen in dips, you have a flag....

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I was thinking about this not being visible in dips thing today. On my route home from work (in my car) there are a few dips in which cars are simply not visible and as it is a narrow country road it makes sense to drive carefully around the bends into the dips. Oncoming cars and motorbikes obviously move a hell of a lot faster than a trike i.e. there is potentially less time to avoid them. What's more a trike is more likely to be at the side of the road than cars which tend to be more centrally placed. Therefore I reckon that on the whole it is safer to be on a trike in a dip than in a car or on a motorbike.

Crackle said:
I like the look of the M5. Right spec, right price.

I'm in no hurry, I've been brewing on it for 10 or 12 months now, still haven't got around to a test ride because I know when I do it'll be choice time. I have been keeping my eye out for an old PDQ, just to try it out but none came up that I was close to but now I've moved and am more central that's not an issue.

Which model do you like? Shockproof?

Catrike UK said:
Which model do you like? Shockproof?

Well I had been looking at the 20/20 Eco and Fatty. The Shock proof is nice but more costly.

I was also looking at the 26/20 because as I've intimated on this thread, I'm not sure how comfortable I'll feel low down.

Andy in Sig said:
I was thinking about this not being visible in dips thing today. On my route home from work (in my car) there are a few dips in which cars are simply not visible and as it is a narrow country road it makes sense to drive carefully around the bends into the dips. Oncoming cars and motorbikes obviously move a hell of a lot faster than a trike i.e. there is potentially less time to avoid them. What's more a trike is more likely to be at the side of the road than cars which tend to be more centrally placed. Therefore I reckon that on the whole it is safer to be on a trike in a dip than in a car or on a motorbike.

I was on a singletrack road. I was way to the left because I was approaching the crest of the hill and just after the crest was a passing place on my side. So if anything was coming, up to logging lorry size, I had an escape route. My foot was off the gas and over the brake as I slowed for the crest. As I reached it, I checked across the top of the dip knowing I'd see a car or motorbike if there was one. There wasn't and as I started to accelarate down the crest I saw the flag, began braking and a split second later the trike hove into view. I stopped in good time and would still have if I hadn't seen the flag but I was quite shocked that I hadn't seen it at all until so late and me a cyclist and wot not - probably not a typical example though.

The people who I saw later had both seen it late too. I think riding one in traffic on straight roads is a slightly different proposition to a bendy uphill/downhill treelined Scottish singletrack though.

Crackle said:
Well I had been looking at the 20/20 Eco and Fatty. The Shock proof is nice but more costly.

I was also looking at the 26/20 because as I've intimated on this thread, I'm not sure how comfortable I'll feel low down.

The 20/20 eco will be the first I get in as it will be viable on Cyclescheme so I expect it to be popular.

byegad

Legendary Member
Crackle said:

It's the only niggle I have about potentially riding one.

I ride a Kettwiesel (seat height around 18") without a flag and a Trice QNT seat height around 8") with a flag. I feel that the flag is for the car behind the car following me, so the driver is aware of my presence, a direct view being blocked by the intervening car. As I look sports car drivers straight in the eye when on the Kettwiesel I don't feel the need for the flag. The Kettwiesel sees a lot more use around towns than the QNT but I feel safe on either.

The other point that I cannot stress too much is how much of a fright I used to get on a DF after I'd been riding a 'bent for a few days. Cars passed MUCH closer and were less tolerant of my slow speed if I was on a DF.

As vunerable road users we are all at the mercy or otherwise of drivers, I feel much safer on a 'bent than a DF. In the event of a collision hitting something feet first is a better bet than head first too!

I have a Catrike Expedition and it is the ideal winter machine.

You can go out on the iciest days and feel ssfee, secure (and with the fairing warm!)

As for road issues.

Ride responsibly and be part of the traffic (CycleCraft) and there is no problem. If you are in a situation where there is a problem with being seen - you are in the wrong position!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
byegad said:
The other point that I cannot stress too much is how much of a fright I used to get on a DF after I'd been riding a 'bent for a few days. Cars passed MUCH closer and were less tolerant of my slow speed if I was on a DF.

As vunerable road users we are all at the mercy or otherwise of drivers, I feel much safer on a 'bent than a DF. In the event of a collision hitting something feet first is a better bet than head first too!

Yes, it's weird, isn't it? I feel much less safe on the upright, and I know I get seen less often and ignored a lot more.

Top Bottom