Recurring P£n%t*re Fairy Visits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Changing over some tyres last night, from slick to slightly bigger fat tyres, I had a recurring problem with the front wheel. First schraeder tube I put onto the wheel with the "new" tyre punctured at the valve (could have been a crap valve) as I was pumping it up with a floor pump. So I did all the usual checks, checked the tyre, tyre wall, etc. Put in a second presta tube, same happens. By this time I'm paranoid, practically turn the tyre inside out, check everything, put new rim tape on the wheel, say three hail mary's and put in another schraeder tube and pump it up to 70 psi (max 80). Within a minute the tyre has punctured. Hadn't even wheeled the bike anywhere, let alone got on the thing.

The tubes are either new or have been stored in the garage and never used. Can tubes get too cold?

So, what am I missing? I've brought the tubes to work to fix (exciting life I lead) but I feel that there must be something I've not considered. Any tips gratefully received.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check the rim valve hole for sharp bits.....

Then when fitting, push the valve in, wiggle, and pull out and re-seat it...make sure tyre isn't nipping it.....

Also talc the inside of tyre and all the tube..... Johnsons smells nice..........;) although you may be in bother when the stuff has run out.........

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Put a couple of layers of electrical tape over the valve hole. From the first spoke one side to the first spoke the other. poke a hole with a bradle(or anything else pokey) Only a little hole, just enough to be able to poke the valve through, and that should stop valve punctures.

And use Velox rim cloth if you don't already

Top Bottom