Recycling presents - well, do you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Every year without fail ha ha. I tell people I would rather they donated to charity than buy me a gift as I really don't need anything, but they do insist. Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't re-gift an iPad, but I'm not getting ipads, I'm getting the whole stock of boots chemists!! I couldn't get through it in a year if i tried!! Also I've got numerous scarves, gloves, hats, hot water bottles....etc . I feel like a hoarder after Christmas.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My brother and I used to recycle a birthday card... a crappy one with an old racing car on it... it went back and forth between us for some years, with the old greeting crossed out, and a new one scribbled in. Then he lost it. :sad:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Scotch gets recycled. It seems to be a favourite gift from clients. As I drink about a bottle every ten years and the charity shop doesn't seem keen on hard liquor donations it tends to go to my dad or one of my brothers.

Twinks

Über Member
:whistle:
My brother and I used to recycle a birthday card... a crappy one with an old racing car on it... it went back and forth between us for some years, with the old greeting crossed out, and a new one scribbled in. Then he lost it. :sad:

Haha my dad used to bring out the same anniversary card every year for my mum, did it for 45 years. She said he was too tight to buy a fresh one but his response was that he still meant every word on it...........:whistle:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
No. Never, but a friend of mine and I bought the worst christmas card we could find and sent them to each other. And we used to keep it and re send to each other year after year. they were bloomin horrible, but it was quite a laugh.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I bet they'll allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssss love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu for that? :biggrin:
What's Whitney Houston's favourite type of coordination?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Last Easter, my Mum got the idea that I like Ferrero Rocher. I don't. But when she gave me the box I hadn't the heart to say anything, and accepted it gratefully (and passed them all to NT to eat).

I fear I'll get some more for Christmas, but I can't say anything now.

NT wouldn't mind, but they're not his favourite either.

Arch

Married to Night Train
No. Never, but a friend of mine and I bought the worst christmas card we could find and sent them to each other. And we used to keep it and re send to each other year after year. they were bloomin horrible, but it was quite a laugh.

At my former workplace we started doing Secret Santa one year. As an environmental charity, we weren't really into lots of 'stuff', so we set a rule the first year that the gift had to be something that was free, or homemade. There were some fun gifts!

The second year, we changed it so that the gift had to be something really unsuitable for the recipient (and had to be from a charity shop). There were some very funny results - I drew the name of a chap who was into a lot of very esoteric music, and I found him a Westlife cassette. He thought it was hilarious.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
At my former workplace we started doing Secret Santa one year. As an environmental charity, we weren't really into lots of 'stuff', so we set a rule the first year that the gift had to be something that was free, or homemade. There were some fun gifts!

The second year, we changed it so that the gift had to be something really unsuitable for the recipient (and had to be from a charity shop). There were some very funny results - I drew the name of a chap who was into a lot of very esoteric music, and I found him a Westlife cassette. He thought it was hilarious.

We always went in for the ugliest cheapest present we could find

Diggs

Veteran
David Niven tells a marvellous (embellished probably) story in one of his biogs of him and Errol Flynn repackaging all the gifts that came in to their Hollywood home in almost a conveyor belt process. It all fell down during a binge session where they sent a gift back to the same person.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I one received a comb as a christmas gift from an aunt who had a rep for being tight. It was one of those brown pretend tortoise shell ones in a vinyl sleeve, I was underwhelmed by it as it was, but when I pulled the combe from the sleeve, it had someone else's name embossed on it! I was not impressed.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
A late friend of mine and I used to recycle a present bag. I got a present wrapped in it for my birthday and then sent it to her husband for his. It then came to Husbster for his birthday and immediately sent back for her birthday and so on and so forth. We recycled and wrapped each others pressies in this shiney red pressie bag for a decade or more. Sadly, she passed away just over a year ago. We did have a laugh as that bag was getting a bit battered.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with recycled presents if you tell the receivers they're recycled.:angel: I've got some good quality Fred Perry,Ben Sherman shirts i don't wear anymore. I'm going to wash and iron them and give them to the scruffy gits i know down the pub!:laugh:

Top Bottom