Red lights/queuing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Traffic signals these days operate on little program which assesses the presence of large lumps of metal passing over wire loops buried in the tarmac. Bikes don't make much of a blip when they pass over the detectors so not much happens.
Motorists are OK, they trigger the system so the argument about "What if you were in a car" can be put to bed.
Some traffic signals are programmed to operate a 'traffic calming' sequence. They change even if there is no traffic aproaching in the crosswise direction.
Such a set are on my commute. They change to red against the traffic and me for 2 seconds and then change back to amber, then green and there's nothing approaching crossways.
The Highway code says 'Stop' at a red light, but in the real world, if there's no other traffic, cross with caution. Even if a camera takes a pretty picture, do the cops know who you are? Anyway, the camera is activated by loops, which you probably won't trigger. Only if you wave a 'V' sign at the camera every morning will the local Bobbies do anything.
To make things doubly tricky for the Fuzz, put a piece of tape over your frame number.

Greenbank

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Motorists are OK, they trigger the system so the argument about "What if you were in a car" can be put to bed.

I'm guessing my "What if you were in a car?" question wasn't clear enough. I meant "What if you were in a car and the traffic lights still didn't change to green for you, what would you do?"

jimboalee

If there was traffic continually crossways - Do a 3 point turn and find another route. That's not illegal.

If there was no approaching crossways traffic - edge forward with caution and proceed.

jimboalee

What do you do if there is a red light against you?
DSCF1318.jpg

Ride wherever you godamned like..!!

Top Bottom