Reflections on a 200k Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
It's a long way and takes a long time ! ;)

This was my first 200k Audax, the Canny Man's, going from Dalmeny (nr Edinburgh) to Falkirk, Stirling, Lake of Mentieth (the only lake in Scotland), Callander, Aberfoyle, Drymen, Denny, Kincardine Bridge, Culross and FRB to Dalmeny. Start at 0800 and I finished in 12hr 28min, tired but happy/relieved. :wacko:

Wind was brutal for the first stretch going west, then some wintery rain killed the wind as I turned to head east and home :tongue:. We went up long, tough hills - but the descents didn't seem as long ....

The final 'insult' came when crossing the FRB - there is no way of knowing which side is open to peds/cyclists - and guess who got it wrong ? :biggrin: Cue one of the hardest bits - carrying bike down steps, under bridge and back up t'other side.

Recovery is going well - I almost feel like walking now :biggrin:.

I'll need a couple of days to consider where I go from here ...... :wacko:

ACS

Legendary Member
scoosh said:
I'll need a couple of days to consider where I go from here ...... :wacko:

The Snow Roads of course ;)

Well done, doffs cap.

eck

Über Member
:bravo:Well done indeed Mr scoosh. By all accounts, not an easy 200 for your first. As the others have just said, you know what your next target is.

And hasn't noodley already offered to be your sherpa for the day? ;)

Noodley

eck said:
And hasn't noodley already offered to be your sherpa for the day? :biggrin:

Given that my longest ride of the year has been 50km I have a long way to go to catch up with scoosh :eek:

But I'm still aiming for the Snow Roads...:biggrin:

Well done on your first 200...

themightyw

Congratulations! I intended to do this one (double my longest previous ride) but I was daft and missed the entry date. However when I saw the wind that day I'm extremely glad I didn't!

Chapeau, all who did it.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
well done Scoosh (& Seamab?), sounds like it was really tough!
;)

Come on, we are expecting an EPIC write-up :biggrin: to match the challenge - a la Arallsopp! Hope you are just teasing us with the short version ...

:biggrin:

T

Seamab

Telemark - not quite the epic you're hoping for i doubt, as Scoosh has summed it up nicely - but here's my short account.

Foolishly i thought it was pretty flat barring the Dukes Pass and the bit after Fintry, so i opted for the single speed. I had no idea the stretch between Aberfoyle and Drymen on a collection of potholes, with the odd bit of tarmac joining them, was quite so hilly. I ended up walking a couple of short stretches.

This was my first audax event and i was very surprised by the fast start. I tried to hang on the wheels of the fast boys as the wind was really bad, but by Linlithgow it had all broken up. I continued on passing or being passed by the occasional rider until my chain came off at Cambusbarron.

The stretch between here and Arnprior was into a howling wind and at some point a tandem came past and i wheelsucked :thumbsup: where i could -overtaking them on occasion. The cup of coffee at Arnprior was most welcome.

The stretch from here to Callander was also hillier than expected but there was a fab descent on on a good surface (for once:smile:). I stopped at Brig O Turk for a stamp but the guy at the cafe didn't seem to know anything, so i was hoping there was a sign at the other end of the village as i hadn't read the question on the card yet.

I took a wrong turn out of Drymen followed by a couple of others who must have realised the error and turned back at some point. I took a bit of an alternative route to get back on track.

It was about the 80 mile mark when the rain came on and it was cold and miserable even with the wind at our back. It was at this point that the "time to quit" feeling was strongest. I made it to the Kincardine Bridge and stopped at the Bowtrees services for a hot coffee which helped greatly. On to Culross and i was caught by a rider who has done Paris - Brest -Paris just as i was consuming my emergency gel, and he accompanied me back to base and some soup and tea. Thanks to the organiser, Graeme.

I was annoyed at the fun and games at the FRB - narrow steep steps carrying a bike when knackered is not a good recipe.

I also stupidly switched the Garmin off before pressing "reset" so lost my data:angry: I finished at approx 6pm (10 hours) with 130 miles on the clock which is my longest cycle so far. A bit jaded today, but not too bad, although the undercarriage is still a wee bit tender and the legs ache a bit.

The organisation was great and you most certainly get your £10 worth. I suppose you can get out of it whatever you want - a fast ride or a slow ride or a just glad to get round ride or anything in between.

bauldbairn

Well done Seamab and Scoosh(and anyone else who took part). :biggrin:

Sounds like it was a real endurance test in that weather. :thumbsup:

That explains my next door neighbour asking me about all the cyclists on the road to Stirling - I knew nothing about it so couldn't tell him. :thumbsup:

Seamab

Thanks for the congrats - well deserved:biggrin:

One thing still puzzles me - the start. I'm wondering if this is normal. I hope not.

We were in the courtyard area outside the hall and i was chatting to Scoosh and trying to change my computer to show Km. I went over to my bike leaning against the wall and noticed that others were walking their bikes out a side alley and onto the road, so i followed. I expected everyone to be rounded up and given the ready steady go but half the field were already disappearing fast down the road.... Given the wind conditions, self preservation kicked in and without a moments thought i elected to give chase.

I think a few who were not watching including Scoosh were left behind? So i must apologise to him for not giving him a shout , he was chatting to someone else - but i didn't realise we were in for an instant start. I thought that we were just being grouped together ready for an orderly start and that everyone else was following on behind.

Next time i'll be sure to get to the grid early!

Greenbank

Über Member
Since they aren't races there's no need for a mass start. People tend to drift off when they're ready. Some may even cheekily sneak off a few minutes early but it doesn't make much difference.

Being NotFast(TM), I usually start near the back as it's a nicer feeling to be passing people than starting at the front and being passed by lots of people.

Top Bottom