Reflective clothing? - Summer and winter over clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have a Pro-Viz jacket & it is rather boil-in-the-bag, I tend to use it as a waterproof.

An alternative approach is to wear whatever you like in whatever colour & if you want to have some reflective then the ankle bands are good or one of these :

https://www.dx.com/p/360-degrees-hi...s-fluorescent-green-2026976.html#.XdZwU8hCeUk

The above looks like this in the dark when reflecting lights

classic33

Leg End Member
Right, what reflective tape should I get for the bike?

Also, looking here
https://bikeability.org.uk/find-a-course/?la=Leeds

They talk about :
Balance
Bus
Fix
Learn
On show
Parents
Recycled
Ride
Transition

When I tried a demo bike in Leeds from Evans, I went into the bus lane, and did move from one lane to the other though this is in a pretty busy city centre so people aren't going very fast. I did also ride on the road, but again it's perhaps easier in the city centre

I don't know how to fix my bike either. What do you recommend for someone who's not a parent, has ridden a bike before, found it pretty easy to get back on with the seat slightly lowered down, and I've ridden in the bus lane

I also rode one in Madrid, but I guess that's busier
Leeds city centre has been "quiet" for a few months now, with work ongoing leading to buses being re-routed and not as much traffic as normal.

Re; '360' jackets
I have the Boardman derivative from Halfords
I'd actually gone in, for some engine oil, & could see them glinting from downstairs, so went for a look
I can't remember how much I paid, but in the dark, especially at 'rush-hour' they're (quite literally!!) brilliant
The Boardman has removable sleeves, to turn into a gilet, if one is so minded, but, that removes the great advantage of visible arms for signalling a turn/manoeuvre

Seen here, just with an iPhone flash, they're far better in vehicle headlamps
Just hanging up

'Selfie type'

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cy...boardman-mens-2-in-1-jacket-silver-reflective

Reflective slap bands for the ankles and wrists. Very effective
Yes they are
I have some from 'Up & Running', & some 'Ron Hill'

Halfords have some for (I think?) £1.00, in a variety of colours

Stop it. If it is reflective, it is reflective. Brands don't matter.

Sadly not quite true
Can't remember (& can't find in a quick search) but a few years ago, a Hi-Viz vest from one of the bargain stores (eg; Poundstretcher/Poundland/Sports Direct) was tested, & returned only about 30% of the light, compared to 75% (or so) for a good reflective stripe)

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
Leeds city centre has been "quiet" for a few months now, with work ongoing leading to buses being re-routed and not as much traffic as normal.
Thanks. Do you know what I should go for in terms of a course? Different providers cover different areas

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
Re; '360' jackets
I have the Boardman derivative from Halfords
I'd actually gone in, for some engine oil, & could see them glinting from downstairs, so went for a look
I can't remember how much I paid, but in the dark, especially at 'rush-hour' they're (quite literally!!) brilliant
The Boardman has removable sleeves, to turn into a gilet, if one is so minded, but, that removes the great advantage of visible arms for signalling a turn/manoeuvre

Seen here, just with an iPhone flash, they're far better in vehicle headlamps
Just hanging up
View attachment 497097

'Selfie type'
View attachment 497098

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cy...boardman-mens-2-in-1-jacket-silver-reflective

Yes they are
I have some from 'Up & Running', & some 'Ron Hill'

Halfords have some for (I think?) £1.00, in a variety of colours
That looks good! Albeit out of stock atm. Is it breathable?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sadly not quite true
Can't remember (& can't find in a quick search) but a few years ago, a Hi-Viz vest from one of the bargain stores (eg; Poundstretcher/Poundland/Sports Direct) was tested, & returned only about 30% of the light, compared to 75% (or so) for a good reflective stripe)
Here you go
Poundworld fined £63,000 for selling non-reflective high vis jackets
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...non-reflective-high-vis-jackets-a6746111.html
Tests conducted by trading standards on one of the jackets revealed its reflectivitiy was no more than 2.4 per cent of what it should have been.

Sadly not quite true
Well, then it wasn't reflective.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks. Do you know what I should go for in terms of a course? Different providers cover different areas
Being totally honest I'll say no. I've no idea where you are regarding cycling ability and mechanical ability. If you'll be taking your bike for repair, not fixing it yourself, find a course that covers the basic mechanicals and concentrates more on the actual road riding. Not certain if it's the Town Hall or Civic Hall that has the information on such courses within Leeds.

You need to build your confidence up if you're starting out/afresh with cycling in traffic. Leeds city centre being quiet, in parts, at present gives you the chance to learn some routes.

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
Being totally honest I'll say no. I've no idea where you are regarding cycling ability and mechanical ability. If you'll be taking your bike for repair, not fixing it yourself, find a course that covers the basic mechanicals and concentrates more on the actual road riding. Not certain if it's the Town Hall or Civic Hall that has the information on such courses within Leeds.

You need to build your confidence up if you're starting out/afresh with cycling in traffic. Leeds city centre being quiet, in parts, at present gives you the chance to learn some routes.

Tbh I'll be cycling between Headingley and Ilkley mainly! However I'd be going against traffic so that's something

Top Bottom