reflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

from a mtb background reflectors are BIG no no, but shuld I keep them on when I get my roadie, even though Il only cycle in broad daylight(not commute)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope - Things like that don't and won't fit my road bikes, although my MTB Commuter does have reflective tape on it in certain parts, as thats used at night.

Tynan

Veteran
hate?

they cost nothing as long as you have ths pace for them, always working for yu, might save your arse

I've got the front on

too cool?

yenrod

Ive just put mine back on after a while though thats only because I forgot to affix them after last summer...as ive gone thru' a look stupid but be seen period...at least i live.

Mostly I always have a pair of yellow overshoes on - the helmet light is a life saver only the other day some bloke was to pull out on me as he arrived at the junction quick, as is usually the case, but as I was looking at him i startled him to brake sooner rather than 'close call' later...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:
hate?

they cost nothing as long as you have ths pace for them, always working for yu, might save your arse

I've got the front on

too cool?

My thoughts exactly.... Hard to see how someone can hate a reflector...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
main summer bike has had them removed, but i have an old light which doubles as a reflector which i attach to my saddle wedge for low light.

commuter bike has reflectors and i wouldn't be without them, uncool or otherwise.

domtyler

Über Member
I have loads of reflectors on my winter bike which spends a great deal of time on the road in the dark and wet. I don't use wheel reflectors though as they totally upset the balance.

Danny

Legendary Member
I keep mine on. There have been a number of occasions when I have "mis-timed" my summer rides (i.e. start at noon rather than 8am as intended) and have ended up coming back in the dusk or dark.

Maz

Guru
The reflector would slow down the bike by 0.0001 mph due to increased air resistance.
Come on, anyone can see that! Du-uh!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are commuting or regularly out at dusk/night then make sure you have reflectors. My road bikes aren't generally out at night - my training bike was until I started commuting, but I went out reflected up instead.

Both road bikes don't have much clearance for them. I have nothing against reflectors, but when you've put a lot of time into building up a 'proper' race bike, you just don't put reflectors on - it's just not done. My commuting bike, on the otherhand, if full of reflective bits....

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
I have loads of reflectors on my winter bike which spends a great deal of time on the road in the dark and wet. I don't use wheel reflectors though as they totally upset the balance.

Really? You must have the most sensitive wheels in the world. "Totally upset"? You mean suddenly the bike becomes like one of those clown bikes, with the hub off centre? Or square wheels?

I realise that I'm no great speed champion, or sports-person, but I really really can't imagine how a couple of wheel reflectrs could totally upset the balance of a wheel Assuming you aren't using reflectors made of solid gold, and all bunched up on one side of the wheel...

Top Bottom