reflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mac66

For my tuppence worth I thought that a rear red reflector on a bike was a legal requirement? I don't have the front one on the bike though, as I understand that for it to be of any benefit, the car has to have lights on full-beam. Car sees you but you crash because you can't see. Don't use wheel reflectors as of doubtful benefit?

Reflectors on pedals are also a legal requirement, though I've got clipless so no reflectors.

Got lots of high viz clothing including reflective overshoes (Altura Night vision stuff) though

Tynan

Veteran
then I'm surprised you're still here to tell us abut it Mac

go on, do you wear a helmet?

(fingers in ears for the dread death wish answer)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've heard that pedal reflectors are the most useful, because the up and down motion of them can't be mistaken for anything else but a predalling cyclist

Only helps of the driver actually bothers to leave enough space of course...

Tynan

Veteran
yes, read a thread with magna and jaco-gen on the bloodbus forum asking the bus drivers about spotting cyclists

amazingly they were very much in favour of lights and hi viz but what would they know eh?

and also ankle bands

domtyler

Über Member
I used to have pedal reflectors but I found that they were totally upsetting the balance of my drive train so they had to go. :smile:

OP
OP
roadiewill

roadiewill

Im not trying to say that being safe is 'un cool', just wondered as to what you roadies do, cos I know that the majority of MTB's remove them completely. My roadie will be used through spring and summer, and I know that I wont be out at night so I probably leave them off - also thanks to the guy who posted the law about reflectors, interesting that. Wondered why the LBS has reflectors plastered over the most state of the art bikes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The only legal requirement regarding reflectors is that they must be fitted to the front and rear of the pedals during lighting up times.

Personally, I think refletive clothing is of more use than anything on the bike.

Tynan

Veteran
a reflector isn't much but they certainly do work, they're tiny and light and the best thing is that they're there and working all the time, you can't say that about hi viz or lights

cyclebum

I was only asking the guy in my local H*****ds yesturday about pedal reflectors as one of mine has fallen off and another is hanging off, he didn't metion anything about them being a legal requirement!

domtyler

Über Member
cyclebum said:
I was only asking the guy in my local H*****ds yesturday about pedal reflectors as one of mine has fallen off and another is hanging off, he didn't metion anything about them being a legal requirement!

What????? A Halfords employee failing to point out a significant piece of information? :tongue::ohmy::ohmy:

Tynan

Veteran
he'd be more or less right though, it's right up there with laws like not letting anyone else read a book you paid for

Mac66

Without wishing to be buried under screeds of abuse one way or the other, yes I have a nice shiny helmet (where's Fnaar when you need him) and I wear it.

Don't know if they work or not, just a personal choice and I think the helmet debate is all a waste of energy. Some do and some don't, that's just the way it is and we should just feel the luurve and respect each persons decision.

Top Bottom