Refuelling Intervals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FetterSteve

As a newbie to this and starting to get into longer rides (1Hr Plus) I am not sure if I should be eating as well as drinking along the way. I realise everyone is different but I feel okay after an hour having just taken water and not sure how much further is reasonable without taking some food too.

Any advice?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Ride until you no longer feel OK, then go back in time 30-60 minutes and eat something. Um. Up to you really, and depends on a lot of things including how well fuelled you were to start with and how hard you're riding. If I'm racing I'll eat small and regularly during any event over about 90 minutes; if I'm FNRttCing I don't usually need to eat at any other point than the halfway stop and the end (so, about 3-4 hours on the road no problem)

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/eatcom.htm has some good stuff, tailored more towards the competitive athlete than the potterer

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
A cake stop is a non-negotiable part of a day out on the bike, in my opinion anyway :biggrin: .

The general wisdom is to eat a little before you are hungry and drink before you are thirsty...

On a day ride, we either stop at a cafe for soup and cake, and/or buy rolls, bananas etc from a shop and have a picnic at a nice spot, depending on opportunities.

For a shorter ride, I'd still take a banana or muesli bar + water, as it's surprisingly hard to carry on if your body suddenly decides it is running on empty and there is a way to go to get home ... (often referred to as "the bonk").

If you are looking at the Deeside loop or similar as future ambitions, you'll definitely learn about eating & drinking as you go along :thumbsup: .

T

Garz

Squat Member
I found eating during the ride on anything less than 30 miles was not necessary. Once you start hitting the 50 mark or beyond then you definitely need to start feasting as you ride.

Start off with a re-hydration drink till you can go further, then you can start on nibbles like jaffa cakes, bars, flapjacks, bananas etc.

Russell Allen

If you are running quite hard you will be fine for about an hour (the time taken to burn up all the glycogen in your muscles) anything more and you will need to take on calories or slow down a bit , 600 to 1000 calories per hour (60 to 100g of carb per hour) is about right. The amount of water required depends a hell of a lot on the temperature, effort, wind etc etc. I find eating and drinking little and often is the best way. With a gel or two in reserve if you really start to flag.

Russell

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Iv been out today for about 4 hours, but have had nothing to eat since last nights pizza. I find food+cycling is not a good mix for me, but everybody is different and i think its just finding what works best for you. Im happier drinking lots+keeping hydrated. Although if im planning on anything over 50 miles i take a banana with me, and something like a mars bar as an emergency get me home aid if i ever needed!!!!

Top Bottom