Refurb or New Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'm all of a quandary!

Apart from my fixed gear bike I've got a late 90s Cannondale road bike with a CAAD2 frame (I know this isn't their best effort at frame building although it is handsome with neat welding, etc).
I'm kind of sentimental about it too as I bought it new from a bike shop in New Jersey and brought it back with me on the plane, it went in the hold by the way - they wouldn't let me take it on as hand luggage!
I've also got a 70s British hand-built 531c frame to build up.

The Cannondale is getting on a bit, the components are Shimano RSX and the STI's are not performing as well as they used to despite a recent service at the LBS. I did put Campagnolo Veloce brakes on it last year. Can't decide whether it's worth putting better spec'd components on the Cannondale frame or use what's salvagable for the 531 frame, for now, and buy a new road bike.

Any ideas folks?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If it'll give you an excuse to buy the new bike you clearly want, I'll take the Cannondale and the 531 frame off your hands for you. I won't even charge you.

02GF74

Über Member
you need to do the sums - it is just not cost effective to buy new components unless you have to.

one option would be if it were me, look at a new bike with same componentry and move them over to your fave frame, then sell the new frame to offset cost. make sure the bits will fit though!

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Uncle Phil said:
If it'll give you an excuse to buy the new bike you clearly want, I'll take the Cannondale and the 531 frame off your hands for you. I won't even charge you.

Thanks for your kind offer Uncle Phil, I'd hate to burden you with anything at the moment though after having lived the seatpost drama with you!! :tongue:

Top Bottom