regular squeaking noise from frontwheel (diagnosis)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I went on a ride from Southampton to Bournemouth yesterday through the New Forest. At the start of the ride my front wheel was making a rhythmical high pitch squeaking noise. I tried to diagnose it while riding; fiddled with the brakes, checked no wheel buckle, checked for any obvious rubbing etc.

Eventually I stopped and managed to figure it out. It was caused by the quick release skewer being too tight. I loosened it up a fraction and the noise went away.

Has anybody had a similar problem? If so, what it is that is sqeaking? Is it the bearings? Could one damage the bearings riding with this condition for a long period?

Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
What wheel (specifically what hub)?

OP
OP
overmind

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Front wheel on a Triban 3 from decathlon. I am not sure the brand of the wheel. Could it be the rubber dust covers covering the lock nuts causing the noise?

edit: Actually, based on the picture below the rubber dust cover looks like it it covering the lock washer and the cone nut but the lock nut is visible.

(Another article suggested it might be the rubber dust cover squeaking and that maybe a bit of GT85 on it would help. I might try tightening the QR skewer a bit to see if the noise comes back then adding some GT85 to see if it rectifies the problem; but obviously sparingly since I do not want to contaminate the grease in the bearings).

triban-road-bike-wheel-front.jpg

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
That rubber sealwould be my first call, had it before on my Fulcrums. Smear a little oil on the seal and you'll probably solve the problem.

Top Bottom