Reivers Way - (Not the Dirty Reivers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steam Pig

Having recently done the Way of the Roses, I am looking to do the Reivers Way next year, but looking around it seems very mountain bikey (one of our group doesn't have an mtb (I know! ))
My question is can this be done over 3 days / 2 nights on normal road bikes, skinny tyres & lightweight touring setup?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I did it several years ago on a road bike with "skinny" tyres, so yes. I presume the route hasn't changed, but even if it had, there'll be ways of bypassing certain parts. I think maybe there was a bit close to Kielder Forest which was a bit MTBy which I routed around. It's a fine route, it wasn't particularly well sign posted so I was glad of the extra map I had.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My group did the Reivers earlier this year, although I didn't.

Most of them ride flat bar/CX bikes, but I didn't hear any tales of the going being in any way difficult.

As @Tail End Charlie says, there are some paths through Kielder, but the ones I've been on have been well maintained.

All my chums agreed it was a grand ride.

Narrow tyres ought to be fine, but common sense suggests a bit of tread would be a good idea for the cinder/fine gravel tracks.

TeeShot

Veteran
I'll let you know in a weeks time !!
Six of us are setting off from Whitehaven on Monday without a knobbly tyre amongst us. I'm on my Spa Audax with panniers, the others are on various steel tourers of questionable vintage. Will report back......

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Someone who did the ride a few years ago told me the stretch through Kershopefoot is a bit iffy.

Kershopefoot being the forest that leads into Kielder forest.

On the track he used there were some short rocky climbs on which even the lads on mountain bikes were pushing.

Things may have changed since then, but it might be worth a careful look at the OS map to see if there's an alternative route.

mikey951r

Veteran
I did it 3 years ago on a Dawes Galaxy with normal touring tyres and it was fine, no problems at all and the route was stunning. There's one or two hills in the middle; however the ride down from Kielder is a gentle downhill for miles on end and was glorious

TeeShot

Veteran
IMG_1792.JPG
Back after a rather wet week. We did it west to east and didn't stick ridgedly to the route. On our last day we did several miles of tracks from Ponteland to our finish in Whitley Bay. Nothing too bad and all doable on skinny tyres. The wind was our friend all week and I was glad to not to be going the other way. We had several long gradual descents and a few sharp ups. On day two between Carlise and Newcastleton, we bought our lunch in Carlise as there are no pubs/shops/cafes on route. Quite a change from Cheshire!!
Excellent four days riding.

OP
OP
Steam Pig

Steam Pig

View attachment 372655 Back after a rather wet week. We did it west to east and didn't stick ridgedly to the route. On our last day we did several miles of tracks from Ponteland to our finish in Whitley Bay. Nothing too bad and all doable on skinny tyres. The wind was our friend all week and I was glad to not to be going the other way. We had several long gradual descents and a few sharp ups. On day two between Carlise and Newcastleton, we bought our lunch in Carlise as there are no pubs/shops/cafes on route. Quite a change from Cheshire!!
Excellent four days riding.
Whereabouts did you plan your overnight stays?

Top Bottom