Remortgage woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have an 18 year son and he has a rather inflated idea of what is achievable without getting a proper job, I blame YouTube

One of the grandkids was similar at that age, he is 20 now. At the time he was an apprentice electrician, he lost interest in that as he wanted to be a professional gamer - on the basis that he was ranked globally at around 60000th (!) on one of those big interactive games that they play these days. Absurd.

He now works in a shoe shop!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One of the grandkids was similar at that age, he is 20 now. At the time he was an apprentice electrician, he lost interest in that as he wanted to be a professional gamer - on the basis that he was ranked globally at around 60000th (!) on one of those big interactive games that they play these days. Absurd.

He now works in a shoe shop!

It's a frightening situation - many do think they can make some money via 'socials'. No, you do have to get a job that's how it works in 'real life'.

I can't actually see my two leaving home for a long time (22 and 20). At least we have 'cat sitters' when we go away.

Alex321

Veteran
It's a frightening situation - many do think they can make some money via 'socials'. No, you do have to get a job that's how it works in 'real life'.

I can't actually see my two leaving home for a long time (22 and 20). At least we have 'cat sitters' when we go away.

There are people who make a living from Youtube etc., but those people are very few and far between.

They have to produce content which will get them subscribers and views for most of their videos in the hundreds of thousands or more.

Jameshow

Veteran

I'm just going to move out myself - have bike + tent will travel.

Go and visit my daughters who will have moved out!👍🤣

gbb

Legendary Member
I do wonder if peoples decision process is quite simple in reality...rent or buy?
Given the uncertainty and cost of many private let houses, its maybe not surprising many opt to buy, especially when rates were low.
it's a gamble, but life is a gamble and as I explained to a colleague once...as long as you don't come out of it with serious debt, even losing or walking away from house ownership isn't actually a total loss, you had a roof over your head all that time you were paying a mortgage. You'd have been paying rent, so equally, that's lost money after the event.

That's extraordinarily simplistic and not the way to approach a mortgage, but some will make that simplistic approach.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

cant see mini ck 1 leaving home at all , autistic and follows the aforementioned " im gonna be famous" route for career

gzoom

Über Member
I have an 18 year son and he has a rather inflated idea of what is achievable without getting a proper job, I blame YouTube

Its interesting, we live in a global job market now so the opportunities are enormous, but at the same time what social media/even Machine Learning does is aggregate the most 'liked' and 'possible' outcomes as that's what the majority of humans gravitate towards with.

The amount of organisational/leadership 'work' (usually associated with the highest paid jobs) needed to be done at all levels is frightening but to get those role/jobs you need to stand out, and be different from the crowd. What is is your 'value' to the organisation versus everyone else.

I think its 100% possible to be come a millionaire by 30 in this exciting new world with no formal education/route etc, but you aren't going to get there by copying what everyone else is doing/watching/thinking on YouTube.

The current mortgage/inflation situation is really interesting, I actually see load of opportunities coming up in housing, especially for those are open to abit of risk.

Mortgage rates(borrowing) is still running far BELOW inflation, property on the whole is a physically limited asset where as borrowing from the bank is a fake imaginary number that actually have no real world value - Crypto demonstrates just how 'worthless' money actually is. If you can find a way to swap the imaginary numbers for a physical asset, you almost cannot lose!!

There is going to be (probably already are) plenty of people making £££££ out of the current housing, inflation, mortgage market. Its just they are keeping quite, and certainly not posting it on YouTube.

Last edited:
Top Bottom