remote control cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
can anyone advise on whats best,battery powered of nitro? & would i get anything worth while for £170?? it was a gift idea for someone but now im not sure as the selection i vast. i was looking at a Kyosho Fazer McLaren F1 GTR ? if anyone here knows whats best or can advise id be very grateful:biggrin:

Mr Pig

Nitro cars are faster but who need that? You need a lot of space to use them, a lot of skill not to wreck them and the engine can go far more wrong than an electric motor.

Battery powered road cars are also limited. They need fairly flat, smooth ground to run on where as an off road truck can do most of the things a road car can do, plus batter over the dirt and grass as well.

If you buy a novice a nitro road car it will get used once and either smashed or left on a shelf to look pretty. I'd go for a two-wheel drive Tamiya off road truck. Yeah, two-wheel drive otherwise you have too much grip and can't do spins, doughnuts etc. Tamiya because parts are really easy to get, because you will need them! ;0) We've got three Tamiya trucks and a Genesis one.

Mr Pig

tam58312.jpg

I've got one of these, although mine is more tastefully painted ;0)

kyosho, tamyia, team lossi, HPI racing, traxxas are all brands i remember being good when i used to race stuff

HPI used to do some rally spec cars, basically the same chassis of their saloon cars but with slightly more ground clearance and more suspension to make them cope with grass and uneven ground. always wanted one, never got one

tamyia are most likely the cheapest and easy to find and fix

mardave are good for a cheap setup if you don't mind it not being a scale replica - used to have to buy lots of bits at once to make it worth the postage cost parts were so cheap - brittish too.

twowheelsgood

Tamiya, cos you can buy them anywhere and there are plenty secondhand.

I have a kyosho 4WD nitro truck and it even has a reverse gear! It's quite worryingly fast.

I do have some sympathy with what Mr. Pig says though because they need looking after, if for nothing other than they have the habit of shaking themselves to pieces even if you threadlok everything.

Modern li-po cells and PWM controllers (rather than the resistors that used to burn your hands!) mean you can get 15+ minutes or so on a cell. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll be any cheaper though.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Gottabe Nitro all the way, if not two-stroke :eek:

Ok, as Mr Pig points out, it'll be smashed to pieces almost instantly but it's got an engine God dammit, an actual engine, a real life minature working engine :smile:

Practical choice: battery powered off-roader

Heart only choice: 1/5th 2-stroke

Heart & wallet limited choice: Second hand nitro off-roader from a reputable model shop.

Mr Pig

Panter said:
but it's got an engine God dammit, an actual engine, a real life minature working engine :eek:

So has a motorbike but do you want one of those? ;0)

Top Bottom