Remove broken spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plantfit

Guru
I have a couple of broken spokes in the hub of my 1870's Ordinary cycle, the hub is made from brass and the spokes steel,there is just a small amount of spoke sticking out of the hole which I'm worried about breaking off if I use (mole) grips to grip them,The question is,has anyone any ideas how to remove these? I think drilling would be very difficult if not impossible with the limited workshop facilities I have,thanks for looking
P1060720.jpg
P1060721.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You could make a few attempts at different things but because of the age and I suspect rarity of the hub I would be asking my LBS. They probably know exactly how to do it properly.

Venod

Eh up
Short of drilling out (which you think would be difficult) fill all the holes and drill and tap new between (no good with limited facilities) brass expands more than steel when heated so try heating, it should clean up well afterwards.

wisdom

Guru
I'm on agreement with gazza1286.
Due to the rarity of the hub I would see if a local engineering shop could help.
There aren't many options I don't think without accurate machinery as the drill would drift into the softer brass.It would need a small drill bit which at best would be difficult to get started accurately.

OP
OP
P

plantfit

Guru
Thanks Afnug,heat treatment and lots of patience worked, as you can see in the pictures I had managed to cut a slot in the broken ends and being very careful with a small screwdriver after heating the brass the broken bits started to move,thanks to everyone for the suggestions

Top Bottom