Removed wheel, cannot re-attach easily?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meek373

First of all, as a newbie, I feel [online] bike mechanic guides are imprecise and are missing important detail.

I removed both wheels off my bike and tried to re-attach them. No quick release; has pinch-to-release brakes. But I have a problem that the brakes are too tight, despite not adjusting anything. For the front wheel, the brakes scrape the rim of the wheel. For the back wheel, I could not even re-attach the brakes [without adjusting the brakes].

To be more precise, I am moving wheels between bikes. They are both the same size according to their stated size printed on their rim. I also have the same issue using the original wheels [which need tube replacement].

Why did this happen despite not having done any brake adjustment? Removing and re-attaching wheels guides do not mention this.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think your problem may be the rims are a different size (width) or you haven't centred the rim.
Release the brake cable clamp and then center the rim between the frame chain stays after loosening the wheel nuts. Tighten the nuts and then hold the caliper arms until they run close to the rim whilst pulling the cable. This requires some dexterity so you might find it easier with a 'third hand', unless you can get someone to help you.

BT_1.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What bike please ? (or bikes) Sounds like you've got v brakes - two arms either side that connect via a cable at the top. There is a 'pipe' shaped like a "J" - this is called a noodle. You can pop the cable out of the end if you squeeze the brakes together by hand, then the wheel comes out.

If the same wheel isn't going back properly, check for dirt etc, or that you've seated it correctly - don't do it with the bike upside down. Have wheel on ground, then drop frame into it, leaving bike weight to help seat it.

OP
OP
M

meek373

First of all, as a newbie, I feel [online] bike mechanic guides are imprecise and are missing important detail.

I removed both wheels off my bike and tried to re-attach them. No quick release; has pinch-to-release brakes. But I have a problem that the brakes are too tight, despite not adjusting anything. For the front wheel, the brakes scrape the rim of the wheel. For the back wheel, I could not even re-attach the brakes [without adjusting the brakes].

To be more precise, I am moving wheels between bikes. They are both the same size according to their stated size printed on their rim. I also have the same issue using the original wheels [which need tube replacement].

Why did this happen despite not having done any brake adjustment? Removing and re-attaching wheels guides do not mention this.
To clarify, the wheels can and did go back properly, I believe. It is just the brakes are too tight, despite no brake adjustment?

Definitely easier to take wheels out than put them back in if the tyres are slightly fatter than the width of the rim brakes.

As above - deflate and pump up after they're on.

This is one advantage with disc brakes.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
To clarify, the wheels can and did go back properly, I believe. It is just the brakes are too tight, despite no brake adjustment?

either the "new" wheels have wider rims or the brake cable isnt seated properly somewhere - check caliper and lever entry points and any bits it may pass through on the frame....

photo might help so people know what type of brake it is

Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If it is not seated correctly then a few hard pulls on the brake can sometimes help. However, it sounds like the new rims are wider. What happens when you put the original wheels back in?

Top Bottom