Removing a freehub.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Hi all. Just need some help getting a freehub off a used bike, as it's making a bit of a graunching sound and probably needs a clean and lube.

I've got the cassette off and undone the freehub nuts and removed them. Am I not right in thinking the freehub should just lift off now, exposing the pawls?

Problem is, it seems to be stuck fast .It currently looks like this:

20180402_102807.jpg

midlife

Guru
My knowledge of freehubs is pretty sketchy but isn't it axle out and use removal tool / Allen key into the space where the axle was?

Hi all. Just need some help getting a freehub off a used bike, as it's making a bit of a graunching sound and probably needs a clean and lube.

I've got the cassette off and undone the freehub nuts and removed them. Am I not right in thinking the freehub should just lift off now, exposing the pawls?

View attachment 402660
It looks a bit like the one I removed recently. If you remove the axle spindle and look deep down inside you will either see a hexagonal or 12 sided bolt which is 11 mm AF . You will need a large Allen Key to remove it .
As far as dismantling the free hub ratchet I haven't a clue yet !

Sharky

Guru
I just used a magic wand and mine came out.

But it's a good idea to work over a tray or towel or something. Those pawls and springs are related to frogs and as soon as they see daylight, they leap into the air and then hide in the darkest corner of your garage floor.

Good luck

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

View attachment 402660
What make of wheel is it?

Cycleops

Legendary Member

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Thanks all for pitching in. Problem seems to be that they are all a bit different. The wheel is a Mavic rim, but no idea of the brand of hub - it's off a 2013 Boardman Team Carbon.

Anyway, I'm embarrassed to say I've admitted defeat and dropped it off at Halfords (only bike shop open on the Bank Holiday). :unsure: Better that than force something and break it.

Oh well - thanks for support and ideas though.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Thanks all for pitching in. Problem seems to be that they are all a bit different. The wheel is a Mavic rim, but no idea of the brand of hub - it's off a 2013 Boardman Team Carbon.

Anyway, I'm embarrassed to say I've admitted defeat and dropped it off at Halfords (only bike shop open on the Bank Holiday). :unsure: Better that than force something and break it.

good luck with that. when the freehub in my boardman started making noises, i ended up getting a new wheel under warranty (plus new tyre, cassette and chain) due to lack of tools or knowledge of how to remove and replace it…

Freds Dad

Veteran
My free hub was a bit noisy a few weeks ago and then stopped working. To save faffing about with it I took it Paul at Ride and Repair in Macclesfield who took it apart, serviced and cleaned it and reassembled for the princely sum of £15.
I can highly recommend him if you have any bike issues and live in South Cheshire.

http://www.rideandrepair.co.uk

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
My free hub was a bit noisy a few weeks ago and then stopped working. To save faffing about with it I took it Paul at Ride and Repair in Macclesfield who took it apart, serviced and cleaned it and reassembled for the princely sum of £15.
I can highly recommend him if you have any bike issues and live in South Cheshire.

http://www.rideandrepair.co.uk
i'll second that. removed a stuck pedal axle that had shed the pedal for the price of a packet of chocolate hobnobs…

sgl5gjr

Often those Boardman's use Formula hubs... I've swapped out quite a number of them... same freehub as Giant/Cannondale/Trek lower end bike wheels have,,,

Top Bottom