Removing a tubeless tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MDP1980

Hi,

I hope everyone is well. I'm new to the forum but I'm hoping you can help me

I'm new to cycling and I'm got a flat front tyre and I'm struggling to get the tyre off the rim. The bike is a Boardman SLR 8.8 and it has Vittoria Zaffiro, 700x25c, wire bead. Kenda tube, presta valve tyres onto Tubeless ready rims.

I appreciate that I'm prob being a dimwit but your help would be much appreciated !

Thanks

Some tyre/ rim combinations can be hard to remove - and if it's hard to get off then it's likely to be hard to get back on too.
(Assuming you're using tyre levers) try and get two levers under the tyre bead a few cm's apart before trying to lever the tyre over the rim. Use one of the levers to lever the bead and when you get it slightly over the rim use the notch on the other end of the lever to hook it over a spoke to keep it there. Now using the other lever (it will likely be harder with this one) again lever the bead over the rim. Depending on how tight the tyre is you can either now slide the second lever around the rim to loosen/ remove the tyre - or again hook that over a spoke and go in with a third lever (trying not to pinch the tube between lever and rim.
If you don't have the necessary Gorilla hands to get the tyre back on then either enlist a friend or get a 'Tyrekey' (cost about a tenner I think - not exactly hi-tec but does work). Sometimes a smear of washing up liquid and (if the weather's cold) warming the tyre with a hair drier can help too. Don't resort to using the tyre levers again as you'll almost certainly pinch the tube you have just repaired and have to start again!!

Top Bottom