Removing an s/s freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hi

I usually take the wheel to the lbs and they take it into the workshop and return with the wheel in one hand and the freewheel in the other.

This time I thought I'd buy a tool. Can't get it to shift, though!

Would they usually put the tool in an immovable vice (which I don't have) or is there some other esoteric method?

Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Generally a vice with the tool mounted in it.

Have you got a long handled spanner? I usually need a bit of contortionism, crouching or kneeling over the wheel, freewheel away from me, I stand the wheel up and rest my chest on the top of it to stop it moving and then use a long lever, both hands and my body weight and constant downward force and it eventually will come free.

It's not easy! Good luck

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Oh dear.

I plan to replace my freewheel next month, for the first time. Is it naive to expect to do it with just the removal tool and an adjustable spanner, as per this thread?
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/which-tool-for-replacing-single-speed-freewheels.229257/
Probably, though you may be lucky (or strong enough) and the adjustable will provide enough leverage..

You screw the freewheel tighter as you ride (which is better than the alternative, of course). I use a cheater bar (as described above) which slots over my adjustable spanner. If it's a bolted axle and you can thread the bolt back on to hold the freewheel tool then that does make it easier IME

Alan O

Über Member
I had to remove two freewheels last year, but I couldn't shift them just with a 10" adjustable wrench (even with the tool held in place by axle bolt). I used a bench vice, which did it easily, but I'm sure a cheater bar would have done the trick too.

Top Bottom