Removing Crank - advise required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sionevans

Hi,

I am having problems removing the crank and appear to have the wrong type of crank puller.

The diameter of the removed nut is 6mm and the surrounding hole is 10mm.

Can you please advise whether you have the correct type that I will need.

I am aware there is another type available - Acor Crank Removal Tool Puller Standard/ Octalink/ISIS?

Thanks

Sion

IMG_6273.JPG IMG_6264.JPG IMG_6263.JPG

Do you know if the crank/bottom bracket is a branded make? I know there are brand-specific tools available. A tool I purchased recently for removing my crank was specifically for Shimano.

OP
OP
sionevans

sionevans

Do you know if the crank/bottom bracket is a branded make? I know there are brand-specific tools available. A tool I purchased recently for removing my crank was specifically for Shimano.

Unfortunately, there are no brands or markings on the crank to identify it.

At the moment, it looks as though I may need to take it to the local bike shop before I finish my build - which I was hoping to avoid

Ajax Bay

Guru
I am having problems removing the crank and appear to have the wrong type of crank puller.
The diameter of the removed nut is 6mm and the surrounding hole is 10mm.
What is the (outside) diameter of the thread on your (the wrong type of) crank puller? Most older (ie square taper) cranksets are made to the 'universal' standard - vast majority of cranks have a thread size of 22x1 (22mm diameter with 1mm thread pitch). 10mm seems really small. I assume the 6mm nut you've quoted is the internal diameter of the nut (seems about right for square taper) so surprised you could get a socket round the nut if the surrounding hole is only ID 10mm.

OP
OP
sionevans

sionevans

The outside diameter of crank puller (that does not fit), including thread, is 12mm.

It appears to be approx. 2-4mm too wide. I have included a couple of additional pictures to illustrate.

IMG_6386.JPG
IMG_6387.JPG

The bike I am trying to remove it from is an 90's Hawk Trakatak Quest, so I guess the size may differ from more recent bikes.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Do you have acces to a grinder or dremmel type tool. If so make a puller using a bolt that matches the thread of your crank

Tim Hall

That's really odd. The 12mm part normally screws through the outer part (which is in the lower left corner of your photo) and this outer part screws into a (larger) thread in the crank. It's not a self extracting crank is it, with a bit missing? (I was in your town this afternoon, i could have come and sucked my teeth and scratched my head)

Ajax Bay

Guru
The outside diameter of crank puller (that does not fit), including thread, is 12mm.
It appears to be approx. 2-4mm too wide. I have included a couple of additional pictures to illustrate.
The part of the crank extractor tool you have in the image is the inner bit only. In a 'normal' crankset, the outer bit screws into the thread of the crank and the inner bit then screws into it, presses against the BB spindle and forces the crank off the square taper. You may wish to find a normal bike/crankset and see how it works.
But the crankset on this 1990's Hawk Trakatak Quest is not normal (about 10mm internal diameter thread as opposed to the 'normal' 22mm - and this has been 'normal' since the 70s and the advent of cotterless cranks) and like @Tim Hall I'm afraid I am at a loss for useful advice to give.
Unless some cunning and knowledgeable member can solve this, let's hope your LBS can sort it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Maybe I am being an idiot, in fact it is highly likely I am. However here goes...... Could this not be a self extracting crank which has a captive bolt that acts as an extractor. The act of unscrewing the bolt also pulls the crank off?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Could this not be a self extracting crank which has a captive bolt that acts as an extractor. The act of unscrewing the bolt also pulls the crank off?
The OP says he's removed a nut he describes as 6mm, so I'm assuming a square taper BB with a thread on the ends of the spindle. So where's this captive bolt?

Tim Hall

Maybe I am being an idiot, in fact it is highly likely I am. However here goes...... Could this not be a self extracting crank which has a captive bolt that acts as an extractor. The act of unscrewing the bolt also pulls the crank off?
I said something like that, up there^.

@sionevans , is the hole in the centre of the spindle threaded, or can it take a hex key?

Top Bottom