Removing crank arms from a chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I have found numerous articles about getting a chainset out of a bottom bracket etc, but all I want to do is get the crank arms off. (So that they can be painted.)

I know the left one is easy, but with the right hand one (it's an FSA Omega), is it simply a case of undoing the hex bolts on the chainrings and pulling the arm off?

Thanks

Stu

HovR

Über Member
Very few modern chainsets have a drive side crank arm that is separable from the spider/spindle. Never used an FSA Omega chainset before, but if it's a 2 piece chainset as I suspect, you'll have to take the entire chainset out of the BB - spindle, rings and all. Not that it's particularity hard. Should just be able to remove the NDS crank arm and then tap the spindle through with a rubber mallet/bit of soft wood.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm not familiar with FSA, but it looks similar to Shimano Tiagra which I am used to working with. If that is the case then yes, just remove the left crank and then slip the chain off the small ring towards the frame and pull the right crank out, complete with rings. It might take some persuasion with a tap from the left side.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Thanks all. I don't think I was as clear as I should have been in my OP. I know how to extract the chainset from the BB, as you say it is easy, what I want/need to do is get the crank arm off the chainrings. I presume this must be possible because people switch rings, and as there appear to be five hex bolts attaching the arm to the chainrings I wondered whether this meant you could (having got the chainset out) simply de-hex the hex bolts and deconstruct the chainset...?

Thanks
Stu

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks all. I don't think I was as clear as I should have been in my OP. I know how to extract the chainset from the BB, as you say it is easy, what I want/need to do is get the crank arm off the chainrings. I presume this must be possible because people switch rings, and as there appear to be five hex bolts attaching the arm to the chainrings I wondered whether this meant you could (having got the chainset out) simply de-hex the hex bolts and deconstruct the chainset...?

Thanks
Stu
Y!

Brandane

Legendary Member

Thanks
Stu
Might be an idea to mark the rings so that when it comes to the rebuild you know how to put them back in the same way relative to each other as they came off. "My mate" forgot to do this and managed to mess up the front gear changing as a result. :whistle:

Top Bottom