Removing cranks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
Taking the crankwheel/crank off my Sun. It has a square taper bb spindle so I'm using a crank remover tool to push them off the taper. Drive side came off fine but the thread on the other crank that you screw the tool into is stripped & won't hold!... Any ideas?
IMG_20160323_182424.jpg
IMG_20160323_182520.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotterless.html#stripped suggests a small automotive gear puller. I think he might mean https://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/produ...ach-x-110mm-spread-twin-leg-reversible-puller

Failing that, it suggests a hacksaw!

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Will do (I've never worked with non cottered bb's before) I've had to buy 3 tools already to get them off!… so I was rather hoping that I didn't have to buy yet another tool & there was some Heath Robinson solution involving bits of wood & a hammer lol

midlife

Guru
There are a variety of pullers / car ball joint splitters. Last resort is to loosen the bottom bracket,support the crank wih a spanner between it and he cup and then knock the axle away from the crank into the BB...if that makes sense.

Or hacksaw it off :smile:

Shaun

mjr

Last resort is to loosen the bottom bracket,support the crank wih a spanner between it and he cup and then knock the axle away from the crank into the BB...if that makes sense.
New bearings and possibly a new axle after that, I guess? :laugh:

Or hacksaw it off :smile:
I hate taking a hacksaw to a bike - don't you?

mjr

My fave tool :smile:

hickory_handle_club_hammer_new_2.jpg
:cry: You're a MONSTER!

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Wood and hammer will work as I've done it myself when the crank threads have been stripped. Take care to put the force perpendicular to crank and not slightly angled. Doesn't need to be a large piece of wood and it doesn't take too much to get it off.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
So I took off the bearing threaded cup from the drive side, loosened the lock ring on the other side
If I lay the bike drive side down on a black & decker work bench (with the spindle poking down through the wooden jaws) then put a snug support between left crank arm & lock ring cup, then strike the end of the spindle downwards using a drift ?

midlife

Guru
That's the theory from bitd, you can put the nut on the axle and hit the nut which some people prefer....

I like the term drift, another of my favourite tools :smile:

Any pics of the bike:smile:.

Shaun

Top Bottom