Removing forks from aheadset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm trying to get into an aheadset (threadless headset) on a 15-ish year old bike in order to check and service the bearings, but I find that after removing the stem and spacers etc, the steerer tube will not just drop out but stays firmly in position in the head tube.
It's one of these
DSC_0019.JPG

Am I missing a trick? Is there anything else I need to do with this sort of headset to free the forks, or do I conclude it's just seized up with age and lack of maintenance?
I'm pretty sure it moved freely in the distant past when I removed the stem for other reasons.

Tim Hall

Seized up with age. I know how it feels. Gentle percussive maintenance, involving a block of wood on the top of the steerer and some method of allowing the force to be transferred through the forks without being absorbed elsewhere are the order of the day.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
No no no! If you look carefully you will see a little circle seal in the headset -it is in your photo as an incomplete circle. Gently prise it out with a very small screwdriver. It forms a wedge in there and once removed the forks should drop out with a gentle tap.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
No no no! If you look carefully you will see a little circle seal in the headset -it is in your photo as an incomplete circle. Gently prise it out with a very small screwdriver. It forms a wedge in there and once removed the forks should drop out with a gentle tap.
I tried that but so far to no avail. I'll look for an even smaller screwdriver and try again, before I resort to the brute force option being advocated here in pictures.

S-Express

Don't worry about the compression ring, as it only grips the fork enough to stop it falling back down through the headtube during assembly - sometimes it doesn't even do that.

Just whack it. Nothing bad will happen.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Take the compression washer out first. Small screwdriver. Yes you can whack it but it's better to remove the washer to make removal easy. Also prevents damage to the washer.
^^this, cos if you damage the washer you can't buy them separately, and you'll end up needing a new headset.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
An update - I've managed to remove the little ring ('taper fit compression ring' ?) and the forks now move freely as expected. Thanks people for the tips.
Photo showing the ring separated from the headset assembly, and the hole-punching tool that I finally used to prise it free
DSC_0020.JPG

Although it could be argued that after 15 years of no maintenance, a new headset is on the cards anyway.
That is the next question. The bearings in their races look smooth, but it'll only cost a few £ to get new ones (which I can then use until 2031 :ohmy:).

S-Express

That is the next question. The bearings in their races look smooth, but it'll only cost a few £ to get new ones (which I can then use until 2031 :ohmy:).

The lower race is likely to be worse than the top, but if the bearings turn freely then pop them back in. I still have a 1" external headset which has been sitting in a bike since 2002, and it still turns fine.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Don't forget when re-assembling to pack the bearings in as much grease as you can possibly get in. Then add some more grease, and top off with even more grease.....then grease it all again just to make sure.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Although it could be argued that after 15 years of no maintenance, a new headset is on the cards anyway.

Unless you are of the school of thought that if it hasn't needed maintaining for the last 15 years, it probably won't need maintaining for the next 15 years....
(I hasten to add that I am not of this school of thought!)

Top Bottom