Removing grease from brushes, sponges and clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeJD

Hi all,

At the weekend I cleaned my bike for the first time, using some no tears shampoo as it didn't seem dirty enough to warrant the use of degreaser on the drivechain.

The issue I've now got is the claw brush, mitt and clothes I used to clean the gears and chain is covered in grease. Despite my best efforts to remove it by soaking them in various solutions (detergent, vinegar/baking soda mix), the grease won't budge.

How do you approach this, if I would have used a degreaser would I have avoided this issue?

Thanks

*apologies if this is in the incorrect location

Bin them, get new ones. Use degreaser on the bike bits next time.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
"Now hands that do dishes can feel as soft as your face with mild green Fairy Liquid"

Wash all my bikes and cars with Fairy and always have done. As long as it is all gently and thoroughly rinsed away afterwards it is good at the job. Utensils used to clean the drive train components will get mucky so ideally keep clean ones for the clean bits and the grubby ones for the oily parts.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

"Now hands that do dishes can feel as soft as your face with mild green Fairy Liquid"

Wash all my bikes and cars with Fairy and always have done. As long as it is all gently and thoroughly rinsed away afterwards it is good at the job. Utensils used to clean the drive train components will get mucky so ideally keep clean ones for the clean bits and the grubby ones for the oily parts.

Yeah, in hindsight I shouldn't have used the mitt I cleaned the rest of the bike with for cleaning the chain.

I'm hoping the washing machine can bring it back to life.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I would use white spirit.

I have a tub that I keep (re-usable) white spirit in. I would rinse the greasy things in the white spirit to remove the grease. Then I would shake the residue off and clean the articles in hot soapy water.

I find that white spirit just works better than the citrus type degreasers. In terms of the environment, I find that the re-use method is a good compromise since the only waste is the few splashes that soak away into the ground during the actual cleaning. Most of it goes back in the container.

Occasionally I will decant the stuff at the top and then throw away all the detritus and sludge that accumulates at the bottom of the jar.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
since the only waste is the few splashes that soak away into the ground
That is environmental murder! You might as well pour your used engine oil down the drain (I have seen this done even quite recently!)

Knowingly and intentionally allowing oil products to leech into the ground is just plain wrong and there is no excuse to it in this day and age. OK some loss is almost unavoidable, oil will get washed off your chain in the rain etc but allowing the run-off from your cleaned components to soak into the ground is not acceptable.

snorri

Legendary Member
Perhaps Doctor X and Nurse Zara could advise you?

View: https://vimeo.com/40294687

It might be worth getting some protective clothing for these dirty jobs, although you will learn to avoid getting dirty after a few sessions, accidents can still happen! .
You can get disposable protective coveralls or cotton washable coveralls from local building supplies company, that should keep your clothes clean!

A box of latex disposable gloves will keep your hands clean and protect you from skin reactions which can be caused by contact with oils and grease.
https://www.justgloves.co.uk/Latex-Gloves

I usually clean bike parts with diesel and a paintbrush, but I'm a bit old fashioned. The diesel can be reused time and time again as the sediment sinks to the bottom overnight.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5210585, member: 9609"]good grief, all them products to clean a bike and we wonder why the enviroment is bolloxed![/QUOTE]
Yes, I should have added an environmental hazard warning along with that link, I'm afraid I allowed Nurse Zara to distract me from reality for a little while:sad::sad:.

Maenchi

StoneDog
Swarfega....................:whistle:

(addition).gets oil off hands so I use it to clean brushes that I clean the bike chain with they don't return to their original white colour but it removes the oil enough; finish with a 'fairy' washing up liquid, or similar,,also I got some oil on the carpet from my chain and managed to remove it with Swarfega, as for clothes my Mrs is a winner with a mix of De-Solv-It stain remover, and Vanish Gold, I don't know which she applied first, I just asked, 'have you got anything to take off this oil from my Craghopper trousers ?' after applying the 'stuff' they had a good wash in the machine, and it's gone..................

Last edited:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
That is environmental murder! You might as well pour your used engine oil down the drain (I have seen this done even quite recently!)

I am talking about a few drops of white spirit splashing over the edge of the container here. I didn't expect to find the Spanish Inquisition. :-)

I've been riding my bike to work for the last 20 years.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Knowingly and intentionally allowing oil products to leech into the ground is just plain wrong and there is no excuse to it in this day and age. OK some loss is almost unavoidable, oil will get washed off your chain in the rain etc but allowing the run-off from your cleaned components to soak into the ground is not acceptable.

I presume you haven nothing to do with any engines if a few drops of white spirit upset you so much? I hope you use; no car, no motorbike, no buses , no taxis, no trains, no flights or ship trips because all of these things create vastly more damage than a bit of white spirit no and again.

mustang1

Guru
I squirt degreaser everywhere then use an old dish-washing sponge that is about to be chucked away. I dont bother with that hot water and fairy liquid stuff any more. Then I chuck the sponge away. Occasionally I'll use an old toothbrush (again, one that is about to be chucked away) to clean the cassette.

Top Bottom