Removing Rear Wheel With Internal Geared Hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iSee

Regular
I have a new Dahon Vitesse i7 that uses the Shimano Nexus i7. One concern is with the removal of the rear wheel in the event of a flat tire. I'm not all that mechanically skilled, one reason I went with an internal gear hub bike. I don't have to fiddle with adjustments. Looking at the wheel, it looks a bit complex as to it's removal. I've removed wheels with a derailleur, but not with internal geared hubs. I've looked for videos on Shimano's website (don't provide any). Plus on YouTube. Can someone please offer help? Thank you folks.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
This for single speed and hub gear wheel removal:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KV4uzc28E0

I have a new Dahon Vitesse i7 that uses the Shimano Nexus i7. One concern is with the removal of the rear wheel in the event of a flat tire. I'm not all that mechanically skilled, one reason I went with an internal gear hub bike. I don't have to fiddle with adjustments. Looking at the wheel, it looks a bit complex as to it's removal. I've removed wheels with a derailleur, but not with internal geared hubs. I've looked for videos on Shimano's website (don't provide any). Plus on YouTube. Can someone please offer help? Thank you folks.
My bike has the same hub gear, but if I get a flat - front or rear - I'll just get the bus back LOL! That's jut one benefit of a folder ...
I don't stray far from a walk to a bus route for that reason - walking distance to me being a couple of miles. It's not so much that I'm not mechanically minded as that I have arthritic hands and don't have the manual strength or dexterity to change or fettle much of anything, especially outdoor in chilly weather! However with Schwalbe puncture-resistant tyres I'm not too worried. To me, the tough tyres are well worth it, regardless of their rolling resistance or the rides comfort. I'd rather pedal harder and have a slightly less-cushioned ride in return for less chance of a puncture!

Last edited:
OP
OP
iSee

iSee

Regular
My bike has the same hub gear, but if I get a flat - front or rear - I'll just get the bus back LOL! That's jut one benefit of a folder ...
I don't stray far from a walk to a bus route for that reason - walking distance to me being a couple of miles. It's not so much that I'm not mechanically minded as that I have arthritic hands and don't have the manual strength or dexterity to change or fettle much of anything, especially outdoor in chilly weather! However with Schwalbe puncture-resistant tyres I'm not too worried. To me, the tough tyres are well worth it, regardless of their rolling resistance or the rides comfort. I'd rather pedal harder and have a slightly less-cushioned ride in return for less chance of a puncture!
I totally understand. I'll just call a friend, and he will be there for me in moments. Like your nemesis, Arthur Itis, I also have a very bad back as my nemesis. I could fix the flat at home on my bike stand. No bending needed, because rotating my back around like a twist-o-flex watch band trying to remove a wheel on the road, I'll be in trouble for sure. Maybe we should look into those puncture proof solid tires.

OP
OP
iSee

iSee

Regular

Thank you for that YouTube video. The only difference between that bike and mine is the wheel on mine slides of towards the rear, and not downwards. The Shimano manual is a great aid. Thank you again.

I totally understand. I'll just call a friend, and he will be there for me in moments. Like your nemesis, Arthur Itis, I also have a very bad back as my nemesis. I could fix the flat at home on my bike stand. No bending needed, because rotating my back around like a twist-o-flex watch band trying to remove a wheel on the road, I'll be in trouble for sure. Maybe we should look into those puncture proof solid tires.
I don't fancy those solid tyres; my Schwalbe something-or-others seem to be doing sterling service on my bike, and when I take the bike in for a pre-summer check over I'm going to discuss slime and CO2 cartridges with them, as a get-me-home strategy.
But so far I am VERY happy with them; I ride on tiny country lanes, rough stony canal towpaths, semi-surfaced tracks through woodland and worse, as well as suburban streets and shared pavements. I've just come back from 15 miles exactly in and around the mosses of West Lancs incorporating rough to not quite so rough canal towpaths, tiny country lanes liberally plastered with the fertile alluvial (I think that's what it is) earth of the drained meres and LOTS of water ... with the winds blowing unimpeded across the land I was in bottom gear, pedalling hard and barely going fast enough to stay upright. But going back was a different story, it was lovely! This little folder is giving me so much pleasure.

ExBrit

Über Member
my Schwalbe something-or-others seem to be doing sterling service on my bike
A precautionary note. Even the best tires (and Schwalbe are superb) can still puncture if you run over a machine screw. The picture below is a Schwalbe Marathon. It's worth practicing getting your wheel on and off. One day you will have to do it in a field. Just pray it isn't snowing too.

IMG_20220206_113140336.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
I recently came across someone on an ebike with a flat rear tyre; they were stuck - far from home and public transport and without the tools to remove the wheel.

I've never attempted it before but managed to get the punctured section of the tyre off tube and tube out
while leaving the wheel on the bike. A quick patch, tube back in and tyre back in place and pumped up. If I had one of these bikes I'd want to practice that at home! It was a faff but worked.

ExBrit

Über Member
I have spent many years doing that; the knowledge of how to do it is never totally lost, however the physical ability to do it can be.
I had to fix a flat while it was snowing once and I remember losing the physical ability. It was intensely painful opening and closing the quick release. Kudos to you for still cycling when nature has given you so many excuses not to. :notworthy:

ExBrit

Über Member
Top Bottom