Removing Rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhysito

Hi All,
I have taken up bike mechanics as a hobby during lockdown so very much learning the ropes. A mate has bought a second hand bike which is quite a state and I have offered to clean it up. Does anyone have any good tips on getting rid of rust (ie. products that have worked well)?
Best
Steve

tyred

Legendary Member
Grit blasting or electrolysis is probably the ideal if you can manage it.

Otherwise, mechanical means work best - a wire brush (preferably the drill or angle grinder powered versions to speed things up, just watch the eyes) for encrusted rust.

Sandpaper is fine if it's just surface corrosion.

When finished, treat with Jenolite, Kurust or similar products before painting.

Work very gently on Chrome plating or you will completely ruin it. A Brillo pad works well on Chrome, I'd use 3in1 oil rather than water as a lubrication.

tyred

Legendary Member
What type of bike is it?

If it happens to be a vintage roadster I'd favour a sympathetic oily rag restoration.

Also if you don't want or need to fully repaint it, just clean of the loose rust and treat with diesel or ACF50.

si_c

Guru
Depends what you want to do with the bike and how much of the original paint remains intact. Assuming it's a steel frame I'd suggest two options - stripping the frame and cleaning it up, leaving the rust patina in place and then getting some lacquer and coating it to protect the current finish, this has the advantage that the bike still "looks in a state" so isn't particularly attractive to thieves, which depending where you live may be attractive.

The alternative would be to get the frame shot blasted and powder coated - this isn't particularly expensive, and is actually possibly cheaper than a rattle can repaint. It would also look "as new" without decals etc of course.

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
Soak it in oxalic acid.

Sounds horrible, but its quite benign and reasonably inexpensive. Short of very careful media blasting there is no more effective removal methid, with the added advantage that it does not damage any paint that you want to preserve.

battered

Guru
Depends what you want to do with the bike and how much of the original paint remains intact. Assuming it's a steel frame I'd suggest two options - stripping the frame and cleaning it up, leaving the rust patina in place and then getting some lacquer and coating it to protect the current finish, this has the advantage that the bike still "looks in a state" so isn't particularly attractive to thieves, which depending where you live may be attractive.

The alternative would be to get the frame shot blasted and powder coated - this isn't particularly expensive, and is actually possibly cheaper than a rattle can repaint. It would also look "as new" without decals etc of course.
+1. What's it like now, what do you want to achieve?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Nothing works permanently unless it's refinished afterwards or you keep an oily film on it. Foil, citric acid or Barkeeper's Friend will remove it from plated bits but it will be back as soon as it sees damp conditions.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
We really need a pic. Cleaning it up may need to go beyond just removing the rust to make it usable. If rust has really eaten into the frame it may not be safe.
Is the seat post and stem rusted in? What state are the cables in?

Last edited:
Top Bottom