Removing worn SPD cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I bought some new SPD pedals and it came with cleats. I thought I'd try and put the new cleats on my shoes but the Allen bolt heads on the old cleats were badly worn and wouldn't unscrew. Is there another way to remove the cleats? Thanks

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Sometimes the holes in the cleat bolts are full of caked up gunk. Try picking it out with a nail or small screwdriver and see if the Allen key will then insert fully.
Or have the holes been totally mullahed?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you can get enough gunk out then wacking in a torx head spanner can sometimes get enough purchase to get it out.

If its really stuck then you can get screw extractors but i havent ever used them so cant comment on their effectiveness

simon.r

Person
If all else fails you can drill them out. Use a small drill bit (3mm ish) and carefully drill through the centre of the bolt. Best done with a hand drill IMO.

Reactions: Maz

gaijintendo

Veteran
You can also try some mineral penetrating oil or WD-40, it won't hurt, but it may smell.

Had the inverse issue, I was trying to rescue the cleats from a pair of wrecked shoes. Gave it a dose, some time, removed the gunk, and was able to budge the things.

Reactions: Maz

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Use water to loosen the mud etc. then pick out the gunk and stone fragments with a pointy widget.

A 2mm flat-bladed electricians' screwdriver is the ideal tool.

Last edited:

gaijintendo

Veteran
You can also try some mineral penetrating oil or WD-40, it won't hurt, but it may smell.

Had the inverse issue, I was trying to rescue the cleats from a pair of wrecked shoes. Gave it a dose, some time, removed the gunk, and was able to budge the things.

Use water to loosen the mud etc. then pick out the gunk and stone fragments with a pointy widget.

Oh yeah, I forgot I'd stuck mine in the washing machine, then dried them on a radiator...

But again, the shoes were dead.

gbb

Legendary Member
Failing all the suggested you could try placing a centre dot punch on the outer circumference of the screw and tap in an anticlockwise direction with a small hammer whilst holding the shoe in between your knees.
This was a favourite of mine on (usually) c/sunk screws. The contact surface area between bolt and meal is large but the hex is smaller than a normal bolt so they can be prone to seizing...pretty much like cleat bolts. You'l need to hold the shoe as steady and tight as possible though or the impact gets lost in the movement.

Top Bottom