Renewing Passports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've just noticed that there are only six months left on my passport, just as the passport office is about to go on strike.

If I renew my passport online then do I have to send in my old one as part of the application process? If I don't then can I still use it untill the new one arrives?

I've just noticed that there are only six months left on my passport, just as the passport office is about to go on strike.

If I renew my passport online then do I have to send in my old one as part of the application process? If I don't then can I still use it untill the new one arrives?
In exactly the same situation...

Just renewed mine - had to send the old one in.

I have the new one back - the old one is supposed to come back as well but hasn't arrived yet

didn't take long - but obviously the strike will screw that up.
Anyone know if there are any arrangements to return old passports so people can still use them while the new one is processed?

Dag Hammar

This is my recent experience : my wife and I both needed new passports as hers expired six months ago and mine expired around ten days before we applied In mid February this year.
Looking on line at the procedures and options to renew a passport I decided that going to a Post Office and letting them do the complete application online seemed a good idea. So we went in to the main post office only to find that they offer this by appointment only so we duly booked an appointment for the following week.
We attended on the day at the allotted time and the process was smooth and hassle free. They take your photo with the appropriate background and then with an iPad device ask you questions ( see below ) and input the answers. At the end we were asked to review the information on the screen and click to confirm if all was correct Before submission.
The fee was £103.50 for each of us and that included ( if I remember correctly ) £5.00 to have it returned to you by tracked delivery and also the separate return of your old passport. The Post Office clerk said to allow up to six weeks but ours landed in precisely 14 days and the old passports arrived back with us about two weeks after that.
One may consider the fee a bit steep but I had to have a photo taken to renew my driving licence last year and that cost me £8.99 so allowing for that and then the costs of postage I reckon that the fee that we both paid was reasonable and because the entire process was so easy.
#### TIP ###. Before we went in to the Post Office I printed on a piece of plain paper all of the info I thought would be required so on this piece of paper I put
Full Name.
Date of birth.
Full address including the correct postcode.
Place / location of birth.
Any previous names, i.e. a maiden name.
Contact telephone number.
email address, an absolute requirement.

By providing all of the above info printed clearly it removed the necessity for the counter clerk to keep asking questions and also avoided the “how do you spell that ?”

We received email updates from the Passport Office, the first one to confirm that the application had been received.
Then one to say it had been processed, being sent which include tracking info but being delivered by a courier.
Then the couriers kept us updated with delivery date and timing.
As for the return of the old passports, they came via Royal Mail which again was tracked and we had emails to keep us abreast of delivery.

I am aware that my post does not fully answer the original question posed by Chris S but I thought my recent experience may prove useful to some. If you do decide to use the Post Office for this service bear in mind that not every P.O. offers the service but a search online will bring up the main P.O.s that do.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I posted our 2 children’s ones off the day before the strike was announced. So was concerned to hear about it.
They have been confirmed via recorded delivery.
Just waiting now to see if the strike affects them. I’m guessing lots of people will suddenly put applications in.
We fly on 30th July so have a few months still so not panicking yet.
The strike starts on 3rd April so still a few weeks to get the applications in.
I believe that Renewals are usually much quicker than 1st time applications.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Did our renewals online in January. Was very careful to double check all info asked. New Black ones back within maybe 4 (?) working days.

How hard can it be……

Your old passport is part of the evidence you are eligible for a new passport, and they have to void it physically.

Thankfully I got the renewed passport for Beautiful Daughter a few weeks back; she can use her German passport for just about anywhere in the world, but we have to enter the UK with our UK passports.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Did our renewals online in January. Was very careful to double check all info asked. New Black ones back within maybe 4 (?) working days.

How hard can it be……

That was before a 5 week strike was announced.

Anyway, my question has already been answered. If I have to send in my old passport then I'll postpone my application for a new one and go abroad sooner than I planned.

vickster

Legendary Member

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I posted our 2 children’s ones off the day before the strike was announced. So was concerned to hear about it.
They have been confirmed via recorded delivery.
Just waiting now to see if the strike affects them. I’m guessing lots of people will suddenly put applications in.
We fly on 30th July so have a few months still so not panicking yet.
The strike starts on 3rd April so still a few weeks to get the applications in.
I believe that Renewals are usually much quicker than 1st time applications.

One passport has been returned, in 9 days!
The other one is still in the system.
But that’s good service.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If going to Europe, make sure you have the 3 months validity taking the correct dates into consideration and not any extra that was added on
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...ations-and-compensation/travelling-in-europe/

This is a very good point, your passport is now only really good for 10 years from the issued date, which given the 3 month rule, make it effectively 9 years 9 months from the issued date to get your arse back into the UK.

Whereas it was previously 10 years from the expiration of your old passport which could have been up to 10 year and 6 months as you ocld renew early and add the rolled over time into you new passport. that rollover time is no longer valid, even though its the "expiry date" of your passport.

mustang1

Guru
Yeah you have to send the old one in so you will be without a passport for a while. They quote 10 weeks but I got mine in 2 weeks earlier this year. Suggest you send the old one recorded delivery and enter your email address and phone number so you get regular updates.

Top Bottom