Renewing Passports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulRoberts

You can track current wait times at this site. (and report how long yours took)

https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/

It took a week for my first class signed for passport to get from london to liverpool, and they don't start the processing until your passport has arrived there even though you have done the online part.

The passports are delivered by TNT, you need to be home if it's a shred letterbox.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If anybody is still interested then I renewed my passport online on Tuesday. My new passport has just arrived this morning. The whole process has taken less than three days.

interested for my partner whose passport has expired. Was it 70 something quid? Did you have much trouble with the photo ID or could they use an existing one? I heard that the DVSA and Passport are linked in some way now, so they can use your driving license photo if you don't want to get another one taken?

vickster

Legendary Member
interested for my partner whose passport has expired. Was it 70 something quid? Did you have much trouble with the photo ID or could they use an existing one? I heard that the DVSA and Passport are linked in some way now, so they can use your driving license photo if you don't want to get another one taken?

Unless it's changed, you can use passport photo on DL, not sure on other side as it needs to be no more than a month old.
Photo rules https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports
It's a bit more than £70
https://www.gov.uk/passport-fees
Friend of mine recently got hers in around 3 weeks (and that included having the photo confirmed by an authorised individual)

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member

It cost me £82.50 to renew my passport, plus the postage to send in the old one. I sent it Special Delivery so that was another £6.85.

There wasn't an option to use my driving licence photo. It was the same as my old passport photo anyway.

I got my photo taken at a digital photo booth at the Post Office. It cost me about £9 and gave me four paper photos as well as a code to access the digital one. I entered this code when I filled in the online application and the photo appeared on it.

Last edited:

Dag Hammar

Reading comment No 22 above, by Chris S, it works out he paid £98.35 in total.
Now refer to my previous post No 7 from March this year.
I paid a total of £103.50. This included having my photo taken by the counter clerk at the P.O. and I did not have the bother of packing and sending and the passport was returned by secure, trackable post.
Alright, I paid £5.15 more for the service but it was entirely hassle-free and definitely worth it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Did our renewals online in January. Was very careful to double check all info asked. New Black ones back within maybe 4 (?) working days.

How hard can it be……
Black? BLACK?!

You're telling me Farage got debanked for this, and they're not even BLUE?!

Black? BLACK?!

You're telling me Farage got debanked for this, and they're not even BLUE?!

YUP - forst thing I thought when I got mine

All that fuss to get a blue passport and they make it Black!!!!

can we just cancel the EU exit and go back to where we were - I'm sure the French will agree - they are our friends after all :whistle:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
To be fair, my old hardback 1980s passport also looks black under any lighting condition. The myth of the blue passport!

Top Bottom