Rent Tents, Bivis, Sleeping Bags, Rucksacks, Jackets etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
On the face of it, it seems like a good way of trying out before buying, but crikey, it aint cheap. Over £300 for a tent for 3 week tour is well over half the cost of buying the tent outright. You could probably buy the tent new, do the tour, then sell it on an auction site at a lower cost. Or even buy a half decent alternative tent outright for the cost of a hire.
Wonder whether it might be more appealing if, at the end of the hire period, you had the option to buy by paying the difference between the RRP and the hire charge?

Wonder whether it might be more appealing if, at the end of the hire period, you had the option to buy by paying the difference between the RRP and the hire charge?
Yes, that would be a good thing, and not unusual in commerce - seems like a win for everyone?
(I can't see anyone buying a brand new item - at full price - after *already* paying half to hire it! )

As it is, it's just another business model option - don't like it, don't pay it.

Whilst it might not be an obviously great idea for long, multi-week hires, for the short ones it has an awful lot of merit. A down sleeping bag for a three day hire - i.e. a weekend - for £19, for example, is an awful lot more appealing than buying one if your use case is once or twice per year. (Speaking as someone who has several down bags and where the cost per night of usage of most of them is not something I wish to calculate !)

HelenD123

Guru
Interesting as a 'try before you buy' option, particularly for something like a rucksack which could take a good few hours fully loaded before you realise it's not the right fit for you. The option to pay the difference and purchase it would be good.

... for the short ones it has an awful lot of merit. A down sleeping bag for a three day hire - i.e. a weekend - for £19, for example, is an awful lot more appealing than buying one if your use case is once or twice per year
Now that I've actually LOOKED at their site .. yes, I agree, it seems an attractive option.
Speaking as a relative beginner, choosing sleeping bags is a particular minefield: hard to say just how warm one really needs without trying!

• At the end of the rental period, can I buy the product?
This isn't something that we currently offer through our Rab Rental platform. However, if you love the product so much that you really cannot do without it, please contact us and we will see what we can do.

HelenD123

Guru
Now that I've actually LOOKED at their site .. yes, I agree, it seems an attractive option.
Speaking as a relative beginner, choosing sleeping bags is a particular minefield: hard to say just how warm one really needs without trying!

The sleeping mat makes a big difference to warmth too.

The sleeping mat makes a big difference to warmth too.
Please don't complicate things!!! ;-)

I have been sleeping on my camping mat, which I haven't actually yet used whilst camping as I only bought it recently and very comfortable it is too. It's a Trekology UL80 and I'm sleeping on it as my wife has Covid. It is very slippy though.
says it's best for 10 degrees plus though so clearly not a lot of insulation.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
As with a lot of these schemes, I think you have to appreciate the full range of what today constitutes the outdoor 'experience'. My reality is that you started small and worked away gaining experience / skills / equipment until you could tackle your 'dreams' at some point if possible.

But these days there are people who not only want to do 'it' now, but want to do it in luxury with the minimum of associated hassle. With a bit of planning (and time and money), in a three year period you could do a mega cycle trip, climb a Himalayan peak, drive a classic car down Africa and sail the Fastnet Race instead of doing one of them in a lifetime. Gear rental fits perfectly with that model as you might need a down filled suit this week and sailing wellies the next. And don't worry about the cost, there's a running ultra marathon race in Scotland where the entry fee for the four day event is £15,000.

Edit: £15,450! ( https://www.highland-kings.com )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Then think of Duke of Edinburgh expeditions. You’ll have parents come in to an outdoor shop and spend several hundred pounds on equipment that will be used for 2-3 days, then likely never be used again. If some of that equipment can be rented , it’s a big saving on once off items.

Top Bottom