Repack freehub cartridge bearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Hi
Bearing feels a bit rough. Google suggests to try a repack before replacement. However procedure calls for flushing out old grease with degreaser etc. I am concerned this will also flush grease out of the freehub body. Do I have to get the bearing out of the freehub before I do this?

It's a fulcrum racing wheel if that helps
Thanks
Mark

gbb

Legendary Member
Fulcrum 5s ?

Is it the hub bearings that feel rough or the freehub ?

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
Fulcrum Racing Sport DB.

It's the freehub side that feels rough. Plus, the condition of the bearings when I prised off the bearing seal didn't look too good - brown coloured "grease". 3,000 miles over 8 months, some in rain, but never took a hose or any water near it, so I'm a bit puzzled how it's gotten like that. Maybe taking the bike into and out of the office at work to ride home

I thought earlier when I posted that I'd be able to replace just the freehub bearing, but I've since realised by looking at tech docs that it's all one part on that side, so I will need a new freehub. RT-013, £42. I think I will try cleaning / flushing out the freehub and repacking the bearings with fresh grease before I replace the whole thing.

gbb

Legendary Member
As raleighnut says, remove the freehub. it looks like the DB is similar to the Racing 5, the freehub comes away quite easily exposing the hub bearings. The freehub can be done separately if needed.
The axle removal looks different but in essence, on the Racing 5s, it's quite easy if you have some mechanical aptitude.

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
As raleighnut says, remove the freehub. it looks like the DB is similar to the Racing 5, the freehub comes away quite easily exposing the hub bearings. The freehub can be done separately if needed.
The axle removal looks different but in essence, on the Racing 5s, it's quite easy if you have some mechanical aptitude.
I had it apart yesterday, but I don't have bearing pullers, so I will need to wait for those before I can remove the freehub. Need to remove non drive side bearing before I have access to remove the freehub.

Top Bottom