Repair or write it off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

templehead

Regular
If that was mine and what is visible was the only damage, I wouldn't even bother to repair it (save for a second hand wheel). I'd negotiate the best price I could for total loss and to buy back the salvage, trouser the money and drive on. If it's not driving right, it could be something simple like a damaged wishbone or tracking knocked out, or - at the other extreme - it could be that the car itself is bent... frankly that's not a gamble I could be bothered with & I'd let them scrap it.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
you could always take it to We Buy Any Car and see what they offer ? Do this before any insurance claim, once you start claiming, you cannot sell it to them (I think)

sleuthey

Legendary Member
If it were mine I would have a local independent mechanic examine the suspension and steering components and repair if it was say £100 for a new Wishbone. If so I would leave the cosmetics as is or if embarrassed Tcut and hand paint the worst bits in as similar colour as I could find. I would leave the insurance well out of it. Then run it into the ground. When it's traded in in a couple of years the difference in value would be a fraction of the insurance increases and xs.

If repairs were multiple and costly then do as others have said and write off.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just an example of the depth the damage...and cost, can go to.
Colleague of mine hit a small deer, ripped off the front bumper, that's all it looked like.
He repaired it himself but everytime he took something off, it revealed more damage below.
Bumper, panels the headlamps were mounted to, headlamp mount brackets, just bits of plastic that meant he had to replace entire headlamps.
Luckily he had no suspension damage...but it can go a lot deeper that you think

CXRAndy

Guru
Put a good wheel on the car. Drive it, if it feels alright then it's cosmetic. A wheel alignment would also tell you if anything is bent in the wheel area

Top Bottom