Repair or write it off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
So we have a 10 plate , Aygo , 66K on clock , 2 owners from new, and dealership FSH. It's never really put a foot wrong and never had any major problems.
Earlier the week Mrs 73 had an accident in the car luckily no one hurt and no other cars involved. Minor damage to someones garden wall which we've arranged to sort out.
We've taken the car to local body shop owned by a lovely bloke been doing it years who we've used before. He looked it over and said the best thing to do is make a claim and write it off given it's age. His worry was due to side impact on the wheel and possible underlining damage.
The insurance company have said it's beyond economic repair and arranged for an engineer to phone us on Monday to go though everything.
Never had to deal with insurance before or things like this. Just don't want to be rushing in and buying another car and ending up with a lemon.
Only dealt with big dealers before but with our budget now thats not possible.

We are going today to look at one , same age as ours , 107 , FSH 32K on clock only difference is it's 3 door.

So do we write it off or forget the insurance and repair it using what we have to spend on another car ?
Other than the body work having driven it I do know the suspension is not right and it's slightly veering to the left.

Attachments

• tempImageysktzP.png
    tempImageysktzP.png
    407.5 KB · Views: 37
  • tempImagePKm6i6.png
    tempImagePKm6i6.png
    412.4 KB · Views: 36
  • tempImageykZyDM.png
    tempImageykZyDM.png
    395.5 KB · Views: 30
  • tempImage2PFMiv.png
    tempImage2PFMiv.png
    580.9 KB · Views: 37

Slick

Guru
Sorry to say, but I wouldn't be happy fixing up a car that I have been advised to scrap.

I realise its a purely financial decision, but I would take the cash and change the car.

Drago

Legendary Member
I know the model well. The insurers will most likely be basing their decision on a financial model rather than one of the appropriateness of a safe repair.

The bumper and wing are bolt on panels. Grab the Haynes manual (there is one) and remove them.

It'll then be very quickly apparent if there is any damage to the understructure of the car.

If anything under there is remotely bent, bin in.

If all is straight the likes of ebay will see you with a new wing and bumper for minimal outlay. You'll then be able to get both painted in the correct shade for around £300, and then bolt them on. Assuming nothing structural is damaged you're looking at about 3 hours work to remove the old and refit the new. It all comes down to whether you want the hassle, or would rather just taken the money and run for the sake of an easy life.

Insurers use expensive body parts - this is one reasons why the cost of insurnace has been going up so much

If you do it privately then you can use panels from cars that have been scrapped due to damage in other places - which could be much cheaper

Put - as said above - if anything other than simple panels is bent then it needs an expert to assess it

Oh - and if the insurance company are involved and decide to write it off then if you repair it then it becomes a category D (or something) which reduces the value when you eventually do sell it
although at that age it doesn;t have a lot of value left anyway

sheddy

Legendary Member
Some advice https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/what-happens-if-my-car-is-written-off/

"If your car is declared a write-off, the insurer will offer a settlement fee. This is based on the pre-accident value of your car, minus any excess that you're required to pay. There are four write-off categories, and depending on which one your car falls into, you might be able to buy it back and have it repaired. However, be aware that cars in categories S and N could lead to higher future insurance costs.

The categories of write-offs are crucial as they indicate the level of damage and whether the vehicle can be considered safe. Post-2017, these categories were updated from A, B, C, and D to A, B, S, and N. The newer categories S and N are more focused on the type of damage and the difficulty of repair, rather than just the cost. However, it's worth noting that older cars may still be listed under the previous categories C or D."

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The bodywork is just cosmetic. More worrying is your statement that it isn't driving right after the accident. Tracking might be knocked out everyone will say, but tracking doesn't just get knocked out, something has to move/bend. It might be something simple or it could be something serious/dangerous. Inspection by someone professional/knowledgeable definitely required.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unless you're an expert on accident damage and repairing it like Samcrac or one of the other amateur YouTube whizzkids give it a miss. Something obviously amiss with steering and that's something you need to be sure about.
If just cosmetic give it a go with second hand panels but looks like it isn't.

Emanresu

Whatever you do, do it direct with the insurance company. Don't be tempted to use an intermediary who will promise all sorts of things as 'included'. When settlement happens, you'll find the 'included' bits weren't and they'll be deducted.

( +1 for @Cycleops comments)

All uphill

Still rolling along
To put the other side to the discussion I'd say get it repaired if you can safely.

You will have a car you know and trust and you will be extending the life of you car - something we all should try to do.

presta

Guru
Oh - and if the insurance company are involved and decide to write it off then if you repair it then it becomes a category D (or something) which reduces the value when you eventually do sell it

Someone bought the wreck of my TR7 and put it back on the road after I wrote it off, and I've wondered whether the new owner was aware, but I suppose it must have been on record at the DVLA. I struggle to see how it can have been economic to repair, as very little of it would have been simple DIY.

screenman

Legendary Member
Let the insurers have the hassle. Do not, under any circumstances, take their first offer; it is worth more. I make my living from car body repair. If you had said you knew a lot about cars, I would have said it could be an easy repair. As your skills lie elsewhere, I would suggest that you do not. The 107 is a great little car. Do not forget you will need more space with a three-door when parking than you do with a five-door.

Gillstay

Über Member
I have bought 4 cars in a similar state over the years and mended them and used them. The Fiat panda got written off again after that, but still managed to visit 9 countries around Europe and the Berlingo which was a cosmetic write off did 220 miles before I sold it at a good price to a guy who was very pleased with it. I had a c4 as well and left most of the dents in it as it was a work car.

If you bought a new wheel and got the tracking done you may find it is good to go but scruffy. I would buy it back from the insurance company and have it as a bit of a project, do you fancy a project ?

Top Bottom