Repairing carbon fibre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ptolomy

Hi there guys I have been looking at second hand carbon fibre frames and i have found a few that are quite worn... some have damage to the tubes and at the joints, is it possible to repair these yourself and if so how expencive do you think it might be? Am happy with any advise, thankyou.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wouldn't have though that carbon was diy repairable at all.

Google HQ Fibre Products, they are local to me and if its carbon and can be fixed they are the people to do it, Mike the main man is the one who made the first Lotus bike for Boardman, I've also seen him repair carbon wheels and snapped frames, made them as good as new and once painted in the case of a frame no idea it'd been fixed.

He sorted my Zipp wheel out last month after I hit a pot hole hard while racing, rim cracked, 3 days later and £46 lighter in the wallet I was back on the road, unless you know where to look you can't see the repair. Frame's I think cost about £60+vat per tube, more tubes then a sliding scale.

If I was you send a frame to the experts to sort don't risk a DIY job on something as important as a frame. It'll only cost you a phone call to see if anything can be done. Oh and he doesn't have email or the like, so phone is the best route, plus you'll talk to the man himself.

montage

God Almighty
HeartAttack said:
Google HQ Fibre Products, they are local to me and if its carbon and can be fixed they are the people to do it, Mike the main man is the one who made the first Lotus bike for Boardman, I've also seen him repair carbon wheels and snapped frames, made them as good as new and once painted in the case of a frame no idea it'd been fixed.

He sorted my Zipp wheel out last month after I hit a pot hole hard while racing, rim cracked, 3 days later and £46 lighter in the wallet I was back on the road, unless you know where to look you can't see the repair. Frame's I think cost about £60+vat per tube, more tubes then a sliding scale.

If I was you send a frame to the experts to sort don't risk a DIY job on something as important as a frame. It'll only cost you a phone call to see if anything can be done. Oh and he doesn't have email or the like, so phone is the best route, plus you'll talk to the man himself.

reckon they could repair a carbon stay which has been pulled out from an aluminium frame? ;)

Harry Street

Carbon Frame Repair

Hi there is a company that can fix your carbon frames its called Carbon Repair Technology ltd it has been set up by two ex Formular 1 composite engineers they can fix most frames

Harry Street said:
Hi there is a company that can fix your carbon frames its called Carbon Repair Technology ltd it has been set up by two ex Formular 1 composite engineers they can fix most frames

I'm glad you run this company and can offer a service but I think if you are going to come on here and try to sell your services then it maybe worth doing a deal for site members and speak to Admin, cause so far 3 posts and all telling us how good you are. I wish you all the best in your venture but I'll stick with HQ Fibre Products, technology does not replace experience in my mind

Harry Street

Hi Thanks or the advice I'll get intouch with admin , I do have a bit of experiance in carbon fiber 24 years + and guess what I use to work for Lotus and worked on several bike projects back then as did a lot of us

Harry Street said:
Hi Thanks or the advice I'll get intouch with admin , I do have a bit of experiance in carbon fiber 24 years + and guess what I use to work for Lotus and worked on several bike projects back then as did a lot of us

OK so you have experience, though anyone can say they worked for Lotus, I don't think thats much to brag about, but lets face facts you are ONLY here to try and drum up work, for that I don't have time for you you're just a scavenger and nothing more. I suggest you get out and actually ride a bike and have some valid input into this great site.

Harry Street

HeartAttack said:
OK so you have experience, though anyone can say they worked for Lotus, I don't think thats much to brag about, but lets face facts you are ONLY here to try and drum up work, for that I don't have time for you you're just a scavenger and nothing more. I suggest you get out and actually ride a bike and have some valid input into this great site.
I'm sorry you feel like that working at Lotus is somthing to brag about as it was a great F1 team but unless you where there you won't know! as for saying I'm a scavenger not true! All I was trying to say is you can fix carbon bikes as you well know and as you have pointed out there are several place's that can do a good job for you so don't through them in the bin and for riding my bike which I do most days if the weather carrys on like it is I'm going to get a boat !

Harry Street said:
I'm sorry you feel like that working at Lotus is somthing to brag about as it was a great F1 team but unless you where there you won't know! as for saying I'm a scavenger not true! All I was trying to say is you can fix carbon bikes as you well know and as you have pointed out there are several place's that can do a good job for you so don't through them in the bin and for riding my bike which I do most days if the weather carrys on like it is I'm going to get a boat !

Arr but the difference between the other companies and you is they haven't come on here and only make posts about offering their services, like you have so yes you are a Scavenger and the worst sort, only posting to try and make money.

aran20

HeartAttack said:
Arr but the difference between the other companies and you is they haven't come on here and only make posts about offering their services, like you have so yes you are a Scavenger and the worst sort, only posting to try and make money.

Christ man, he's only trying to help.

Top Bottom