Repairing Carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpembroke

hmm, I don't like the sound of rubbing down carbon. If it's definitely just a superficial scratch and not a crack then I'd leave it alone. Perhaps you could touch it up but be careful what sort of paint you use to do that with. I've no idea what's 'carbon-safe' (if there is such a thing).

peanut

I should have thought that a deep scratch is far more likely to weaken the seat post than a smooth polish.
I would try it on a bit that doesn't show first if I were you. There is nothing worse than a rough looking laquering finish

llllllll

Most scratches are just in the laquer and you should have no problem rubbing it down. I've done the same with a set of Carbon aerobars to remove the decals. Just use a fine paper, I think I started with something like 400 and went on to 600. Keep stopping and checking, stop either when you get to the carbon itself (it's pretty obvious when you get there) or the scratch has disappeared (which ever comes first). I sprayed mine with a car laquer, just follow the instructions on the can and the finish is really very good.

On the other hand forks always get chipped, so you're fighting a losing battle if you want to keep them perfect and actually ride your bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could try a little t-cut and fill the scratch with either a 'gloss touchup' or nail varnish. Car polish also to blend the repair in - but it's not as strong as t-cut.

Top Bottom