Repairing Electronics (specifically an electric fence energiser)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Think its just the angle of the photo, heres another shot...

16951628109_ed9bba41bd_n.jpg
Explains the blackened out look seen then. Have you tried Maplins for a replacement. See if its worth repairing?

classic33

Leg End Member
Just out of curiosity, is the capacitor marked Made In Australia?
And are the following a rough guide size? The housing is about 2" in length and 1 1/4 in diameter.

OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
Just out of curiosity, is the capacitor marked Made In Australia?
And are the following a rough guide size? The housing is about 2" in length and 1 1/4 in diameter.

Its not marked with Made In Australia but your dimensions are correct. Ive contacted this company to see if they would ship one as im having issues finding one in this country.

http://www.wiltronics.com.au/catalo...e-type/7_5uf-1200vdc-electric-fence-capacitor

I've also emailed Olli, who make the energiser. Id say the energiser is worth about £120 to me so spending 20 odd quid on getting it repaired would be worth it.

Maplins dont have an exact match unfortunately, and nor do RS Components.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I would be surprised if 240V was involved. My guess (and I have not looked this up) is that a battery feeds the unit, which chops the voltage, this will be fed into a (step up) transformer. The output of this will be a relatively high voltage ,low current, to give a shock.
I doubt if the transfomer will have blown. The capacitor may have broken down, but I would plump for the transistor that does the switching.

Just Googled and some are mains powered, so what do I know, Ill shut up!

I built a simple device that did exactly what you described once using four diodes to form a bridge rectifier circuit, a relay (wired in such a way that once powered, it would switch and break the circuit to itself, and the rest of the circuit, where it would unswitch and regain power again), an old transformer recovered from an old soldering iron power supply ( I used this as a step up transformer) and a large capacitor....

It was fun while the relay lasted :evil:

classic33

Leg End Member
I built a simple device that did exactly what you described once using four diodes to form a bridge rectifier circuit, a relay (wired in such a way that once powered, it would switch and break the circuit to itself, and the rest of the circuit, where it would unswitch and regain power again), an old transformer recovered from an old soldering iron power supply ( I used this as a step up transformer) and a large capacitor....

It was fun while the relay lasted :evil:
How long did it last & do you have the plans?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
How long did it last & do you have the plans?

It lasted a few weeks of incessant use, I don't have the plans but I could easily re-think them up again!

Wobblers

Euthermic
Just put an ohm meter across the capacitor and it reads 0, so i guess that means it's shorted out and knackered. I'll see if i can find a replacement.

Was the capacitor still in circuit?

If so, you'll be measuring the resistance of all current paths leading away from that point as well as the capacitor. The best way to test a capacitor is with an ESR meter. Since you most likely don't have one, take the capacitor out (should be easy as it has spade terminals) and then remeasure it with your multimeter on the maximum ohms (probably 20 megaohms) range. If the capacitor's good, you'll see the resistance on the multimeter slowly rise (due to the capacitor charging up). If the resistance remains low or zero, the cap's shorted. If the resistance starts off off-scale, that may mean that the capacitor is open circuit. To check, connect it to a 9 V battery and then measure the voltage on the terminals. A good cap will read almost the full battery voltage, and it will go down slowly as the capacitor discharges through your multimeter.

I'm not too sure about that transformer being used to generate the high voltage - it looks like a conventional laminated iron core mains power transformer. The insulation requirements for 1 kV or more require something a little more exotic. I suspect you'll find a high frequency pulse transformer with a tripler below the circuit board - that's the same scheme that was used to generate the high voltage for CRT displays and TV's. If it's been failing slowly over time, that could suggest a capacitor in that area's failing: look for capacitors that are bulging, discoloured or leaking.

Top Bottom