Repairs to an old Dawes racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoyo

My husband has a Dawes 10 speed racer which he bought new in 1980. It is in need of repair. We accept that technology has moved on etc but, for sentimental reasons, we would like to repair it rather that take it to the dump - what a waste of resources. A cycling work colleague has advised me that bearings are gone in the steering / handlebars and the rear wheel makes rather disconcerting noises on rotation. Our LBS is not interested in this type of project; they think we are mad to stick with it and advise us to buy a new bike. WE would be grateful if anyone could recommend a bike repair shop that would be committed to fixing an old machine and would do a good job that could be relied upon. We are in central southern England.

Yoyo

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi
Welcome
If anywhere near Oxford I'd recommend either Warlands on the Botley Road, or even the Oxford Cycle workshop. Both will be more than capable, have used Warlands for some of my own restoration work.

If it's a case of bearings, sometimes a strip-clean (maybe new balls) and re-assemble is all that's required. Not a difficult job and few special tools required. Satisfying!
However if new drivetrain, Chains/cogs etc. it does get more expensive , but you'll end up with a restored old friend...and what could be better?
If it's a 531 framed Dawes I'd say it was definitely worth the money.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi there, Many local bike shops, LBS's may be able to restore your husbands steed back to road condition. Obviously you lbs wanted to sell you a new bike. As long as the frame is in good nick, no dents, cracks or rust it would be worth it. Ask around. I wouldn't bother with Halfrauds though.

easy job - new bearings in the headset and rear hub, by the sound of it. At worst, the hub might need new cones and the whole headset might need replacing. I have a spare headset somewhere that you can have - PM me and I'll stick it in the post for you.
Definitely worth doing, no matter what your LBS says. The older Dawes frames are pretty good.

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Thank You all so much for your help. We copped out and had it repaired in the Oxford Cycle Workshop. There was less wrong with it than we thought, no headset work just the wheels, chain and cables needed replacing. Other half is very pleased and we hope to put it to the test tomorrow. The service at the shop was excellent and we are delighted to find people ready to repair the old rather than sell an unnecessary new bike.

Yoyo

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Congrats on finding a LBS that will take on the work. Is it near ish to you as they might well be the place to use in the future? Enjoy the rides.

how did the ride go?

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Not done a ride yet. He's too preoccupied with his model railway getting it in good order for our new engines tomorrow!! We'll be out later in the week though.

Yoyo

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Not sure what model it is as it only says 'Dawes'. Had a ride in the hills today and we found that the gears had not been set properly. Not good for an unfit man on hills with his missus beating him on a Dutch tank. When we were as far from home as we were going to get he found that he had a puncture. Thankfully he won't let it beat him but he is going to take it easier until his fitness improves.

Yoyo

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

My husband's wheels are 27'' x 1.25''. The new wheels are Weinmann. The shop supplied them. There is no model number on the bike. It just says ' Dawes'. In the Cycle Workshop I was informed that if I was to sell the frame it would be taken in a matter of hours.

The puncture has been fixed and the gears are adjusted so we may go out again tomorrow.

Yoyo

Top Bottom