repairs while you wait?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jujubi

So I'm meant to go on a longer organised ride tomorrow, but I've just found I have a puncture. Being a noob I can't fix it myself. Any ideas for shops that will do this while I wait tomorrow morning before 11am? In my limited experience most shops (even small independent ones) have needed about a day for this sort of thing...
I'm in NW London, and have to rely on public transport (no bikes between 7.30 and 9.30) to get the bike to a shop in the first place... :sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't see why they shouldn't be able to do it given how long it takes some I've seen fixing their bikes on the side of the road. Me, I'm not the quickest but I can normally do it in under an hour (I would be quicker if I was better at getting the tyres on and off, the repair bit is the quick bit. It's worth having a go to find out, but not much use if you don't have the repair kit, tyre levers and a pump.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'd pop out and either get a new tube or a repair kit with some tyre levers, do a bit of a search on Youtube for puncture repairs and do it yourself. It's only a 10 minute job if all the stuff is to hand but it's impossible to know in advance whether your local mechanics will have that spare 10 minutes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What are you going to do if you get a puncture on the ride?
Best you check you tube for a couple of how to vids and have a little practice.

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
J

jujubi

Thanks for the answers. I realise I should eventually learn how to do this myself. But if I wait till the shops open, then go back home to try and do this, planning in enough time to get to the station that will take me to the countryside, that gives me about 45 minutes to learn from Youtube and carry out the repair. I'm not confident... (On the ride itself there will obviously be lots of knowledgeable people who CAN do that sort of thing in 10 minutes, but none of them live near me and I don't want to arrive with a bike that needs fixing before we even start...)

vickster

Legendary Member
So I'm meant to go on a longer organised ride tomorrow, but I've just found I have a puncture. Being a noob I can't fix it myself. Any ideas for shops that will do this while I wait tomorrow morning before 11am? In my limited experience most shops (even small independent ones) have needed about a day for this sort of thing...
I'm in NW London, and have to rely on public transport (no bikes between 7.30 and 9.30) to get the bike to a shop in the first place... :sad:

Evans are doing repairs for a fiver + tube http://www.evanscycles.com/servicing. I'd pay that myself (indeed I have) :smile: Plenty of branches, most open around 8am or 9am I think, e.g. http://www.evanscycles.com/stores/Crouch-End

Just make sure they fit a tube with a decent length valve. While you are there, buy a couple more and some tyre levers :thumbsup:

Top Bottom