Replace a GU10 Halogen with LED?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I moved into a new home in 2017 which had 45 halogen lamps, a mix between GU10 and MR16 and all 50w or 40w. There were 9 in the living room alone. 450w to light one flipping room!

All were quickly changed to 5w ‘cool white’ LEDs. One thing to be aware of on MR16 lamps are the drivers may be AC and cause flicker. If so they need to be replaced with DC drivers which ups the cost.

If the OP has all GU 10 lamps then these are 230v and have no separate driver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Luckily I mainly use lamps, with energy efficient bulbs, in the main room. But bathroom and kitchen are infested by halogen GU10.
Oh they've just arrived...

Gwylan

Veteran

Tenkaykev

Guru
Philips do a " Expert Colour " GU10 with a CRI of 97 ( colour rendering index ) they cost around £12.
I have one fitted to flexible " child " part of a " Father and Child " style uplighter beside my chair. Excellent if you do a fair bit of reading or close work. The light quality is the same as the very expensive reading lights that are often advertised in the newspaper/ Radio Times etc

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
ok all done for the main house... nearly. I changed the ones in the bathroom (they were mr16 bulb) so went to screwfix and got LAP GU5.3 but they seem to flicker - so do i need to get an electrician to come and fit a transformer?

You need an LED compatible driver, not a transformer. They give out DC, not AC and are quick and easy to fit.

Top Bottom